Cervical spondylosis,headaches and associated symptoms

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi. My symptoms started over 3 yrs ago with the sudden onset of severe debilitating neck/headaches making everyday living very difficult. As I drove for a living a was finding it very difficult to cope with the pain as over the counter treatments were no good. The pain starts in the neck / back of the head region and radiates up the back of the head and into my facial area around the eyes, every slight movement of my head or neck resulted in severe pain and the only way to alleviate this was to lay down and rest or sleep the headaches last anywhere from 2 hrs to all day. My other symptoms are pain in the neck between my shoulders , pain in my shoulders running down my arms into my hands causing constant numbness tingling and stiff painfull little, ring and index fingers and also my thumb. Holding my arm in 1 position for any length ( on the phone , driving, computer )causes severe burning pain in my forearm and hand. Eventually sent for xrays and mri scan which shows I have cervical spondylosis. I've been on gabapentin and amytriptyline now for 9 months and have suffered badly with side effects and reactions ( dizzy spells, confusion, memory loss, depression, hallucinations the list is endless) . I have seen the neurosurgeon 4 times now over the last 3 yrs , who originally told me to leave it for 6 months as it may get better on it's own , to then saying have further tests then we will consider surgery to now saying he's sending me for physio and pain management. Totally Fed up and confused how he has contradicted himself with the treatment continually and seems to dismiss it all as trivial and ultimately gives me no real answers or hope. I have been off work now for the last 6 months as the headaches arm pain , hand numbness and tingling coupled with the loss of arm and hand strength meant driving was becoming dangerous as I couldn't move my head or neck for the pain .

He has refused surgery as he says he does not feel I would benefit as it could make matters worse. I am currently on benefits, in severe financial difficulties and cannot see any light at the end of the tunnel..

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

First of all Richard, you are not alone. Your descriptions of source of pain and debilitating actions of pain are so common with c/s. Others suffer little or no pain.

First and foremost is getting the pain under control, otherwise depression could/is setting in. Gabapentin and Amatriptalene are widely used and can be successful-or not.

It took me well over a year to get proper diagnoses and pain control. Eventually, these are the meds that helped me: Gabapentin 900mgs x3 a day, Naproxen 500mgs X 2 a day, Amatriptalene 40mgs once a day, morphine pain patch 10 microns 24/7. I take other meds for associated problems but these do help pain control. You must get help from your gp otherwise the pain will drag you down, it did me but that's another story.

Mike.

• Posted

I feel for you Richard. have you considered seeing a chiropractor? if you go on youtube and look up this guy " so cal chiropractor" he seems to have some pretty amazing stories.

I'm sure driving each day in that particular position isn't helpful but maybe there are some adjustments yet that can be made or incorporating exercise, stretching, etc.

anyway, I would check out those videos to see if they give you more ideas.

• Posted

Hi ,

With regards to your financial problems, are you with a debt management company, or C.A.B. If you have any arrears ie. mortgage, rent , council tax, you should be able to sort something out with them. Don't go for a debt management company that charges you, free advice is available.

As to your neurosurgeon, they do think they know all the answers and don't like having to waste their valuable time explaining things. Please consider carefully before any physical stretching or exercising, you could end up in a worse state than at present.

Mike.

• Posted

Hi

What a waste of time, 4 yrs nearly suffering with constant debilitating headaches neck and shoulder pain coupled with the associated arm and hand numbness loss of strength etc, side effects from the tablets , sent to 6 different hospitals for various tests to be told eventually I have cervical spondylosis, forminal stenosis of c5-c6 and c6-c7 but the neurosurgeon is not going to operate and recommends pain management only. So nearly 4 years down the line and I'm back at square one totally gutted and down now. Can't work struggling with pain and he doesn't care.

• Posted

hi Richard, so sorry you are suffering and feel like your getting nowhere!!

I also have this and it's driving me mad right now but I would just like to mention some things I have tried and maybe something might work for you...

Chiropractor, this will help relieve pain and also upper back pain and any tingling and numbness you might be getting 

Peppermint essential oil!! Have to say this is amazing for me, it's a quick fix and cheap as well, £1 in home bargains and helps with neck and headaches, can't live without it

Ice packs...20 mins on 20 mins off, wrapped in a light towel 

Physio in the pool....gentle stretches while your neck is covered with water

Chiropractic pillow, you fill these with water and can get them from Amazon

I hope something here helps as I know how desperate the pain makes you feel, 

One more thing about surgery...your neuro is probably right about you probably having more pain after, it might fix the problem but the pain you have now believe me could get a whole lot worse, surgery does help some people but not everyone and I know from experience and just hearing everyone's stories on here, meds are good short term but  it's very hard to stop once you find something that gives relief

Good luck😊

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.