Cervical Spondylosis - just diagnoses

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi,  I have just been diagnosed with Cervical Spondylosis after having an x-ray.  The Dr's receptionist gave me the news over the phone and said the Dr does not need to see me. Is this normal for the Dr to not provide any further help or refer me for other tests as I have many unanswered questions?

?Can anyone give me any advice as I don't want to take shop bought painkillers and paracetamol for the next 30+ years,  I am 45 years old.   

?When I lay on my pillow at night I get shooting pains through my head and neck no matter which side I lie on,  How can I be more comfortable?

?How do I get rid of the pins and needles in my hand when it starts for no reason?

Thanks,

N.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi I have had the same diagnosis three years ago I have paid a lot of money for private consultations and treatments which have been a waste of money. I understand how you feel. I have had steroid injections helped a little and facet injections which have caused more problems. I would go back to your doctor a phone call is not satisfactory. Best wishes Christine
  • Posted

I have the same, also severe Osteoarthritis and slippage in the neck. I'm literally about to go for my first Physiotherapy session in half an hour's time. My doctor said if that doesn't work then I'll probably have a neck brace. You need to go back to your doctor.

• Posted

Hi Jane,

?How was your first Physiotherapy session?

?I have booked a doctor's appointment in 2 weeks time.

• Posted

If you're having pins and needles in your hand, then there is nerve involvement (nerve in your neck).  Cervical spondylosis can be the root cause of many things, such as facet hypertrophy or bone spurs.  These things can cause vertebrae to move out of their normal/healthy position and press on either nerves or cause inflammation of nerves.  You need to find a better doctor.  You need to have an MRI.  And, most importantly (this is true of every patient everywhere), advocate for your health care.  I am 63 years old and have been diagnosed with degenerative cervical spondylosis with mild spinal stenosis and foraminal narrowing.  I've done a lot of reading on the internet, something I'd encourage you to do.  Obviously, find reputable sites and compare information from site to site.  Oh, and don't let me forget to say, watch your posture, to keep pressure off your neck. 

• Posted

Hi Linda,

​Thank you for your reply.  I improved my posture last year when I started to get neck ache (the Dr gave me neck exercises to do). I will ask the doctor for an MRI when I go in a couple of weeks time if he does not mention it. 

• Posted

Also, if your pain is too much to bear, there is a medication called gabapentin.  It can have some bad side effects for some people, but it is used to calm nerve pain. 
  • Posted

Hi,

I agree with the other posters, but hold back on Any physiotherapy to your neck until you find out more information. You do need an mri and probably nerve conductation test . The tingling in your arm, hand and fingers will probably be pinched/trapped nerve in your cervical spine at level c4 c5 but further tests need to be done.

As the c/s may progress over time you could end up in a very difficult position regarding everyday activities.

Mike.

• Posted

Mike has some very good points.  I would hold off on any kind of treatment until you've seen another doctor and had an MRI.  This is a serious condition and, as Mike very gently stated, over time this can become life changing.  You were right to question your doctor's inadequate response, so keep going with that common sense, to find a new doctor and educate yourself as much as possible.  You will find that there is no black-and-white with cervical spondylosis.  They do not understand, for instance, why many people have spinal stenosis but no symptoms.  Each patient is different, and educating yourself is very important.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.