Cervical Spondylosis newcomer

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi anyone who is listening,

I am 55 years old on January 29th. I do not consider myself old whatsoever, but at this moment in time feel ancient!

Had a restless night again with constant neck and lower back pain so decided enough was enough and got up, patted the dog - Monty. I really must take him to the vet he is not himself - a bit listless and sorry for himself.

The computer is my partners so do not always get the opportunity to log on but managed to find this page last week. It was a relief to find others like me and to read your stories.

When I was told I had this condition all I could think about was my Dad (he died in January 2000). He was diagnosed with arthritis when he was 55 and all I could picture was him sitting in his armchair not able to do very much with his life.

I have always had problems one way or another with my neck or shoulders. At 18 yrs I developed a stiff neck and could not lift my right arm above my head to do my hair or anything.

I remember getting a frozen shoulder with a trapped nerve when I was in my late 30's (this was the worse pain ever in my life worse than having a baby (I have three grown up children and 4 grandchildren). It happened after I had been Christmas shopping after work buying lots of pressies and carrying them all to meet my husband who was picking me up (unfortunately my husband died in 2002 from malignant melanoma).

Right well that's it I will have to carry on my story another time as my partner has just got out of bed and wandered into his office-cum-muck-tip of a bedroom and wants the computer (I must get one for myself).

I was just feeling sorry for myself and wanted someone to talk to. Hopefully will get back on on Tuesday. I am having problems coping and where to go from here as my doctor gives me sick notes but does not really offer any other help. I have been off work now since August 13th and they need to know what I am going to do but I dont know!!!!!

Sx

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi SDee, hope you manage to read this. Why not become a member of this forum? Then, you can communicate directly with other people who are in the same boat as you. You'll find there are a few of us who will lend a sympathetic ear. Being slightly younger than you, I know exactly what you mean. Not old, but feeling positively decrepit at times. Your comments about the doctor also sound very familiar. I look for new messages here every day although it has slowed down lately. So, I will see any message that you post. Best wishes for now and look forward to hearing from you soon.
  • Posted

welcome dee to our little community. my name is christine i have been suffering for the past 18-19yrs, it makes you feel so old and as if you will never be well again doesnt it. we are a good bunch on here, we offer plenty of advice and support, which is invaluable. i have problems sleeping especially this week it has been as late as 7.30am, this week i just cant drop off at all, which makes the pain awful. i take sleeping tablets which generally help but not this week, so as a result i am lethargic during the day and the pain is relentless and grinding. like idk said if you join the forums you can send private messages to anyone that is a member, and they do offer brilliant support, bye the way idk i dont take offence , i have been in cloud cuckoo land myself so i dont register, the lack of contact.... so again dee good luck with your gp, they are a strange bunch and unhelpful to say the least, mine barely registers when i go to him with a new problem with my neck.. bye for now ,,,, chris xxx
  • Posted

[quote:397fc99c35=\"SDee \"]Hi anyone who is listening,

I am 55 years old on January 29th. I do not consider myself old whatsoever, but at this moment in time feel ancient!

Had a restless night again with constant neck and lower back pain so decided enough was enough and got up, patted the dog - Monty. I really must take him to the vet he is not himself - a bit listless and sorry for himself.

The computer is my partners so do not always get the opportunity to log on but managed to find this page last week. It was a relief to find others like me and to read your stories.

When I was told I had this condition all I could think about was my Dad (he died in January 2000). He was diagnosed with arthritis when he was 55 and all I could picture was him sitting in his armchair not able to do very much with his life.

I have always had problems one way or another with my neck or shoulders. At 18 yrs I developed a stiff neck and could not lift my right arm above my head to do my hair or anything.

I remember getting a frozen shoulder with a trapped nerve when I was in my late 30's (this was the worse pain ever in my life worse than having a baby (I have three grown up children and 4 grandchildren). It happened after I had been Christmas shopping after work buying lots of pressies and carrying them all to meet my husband who was picking me up (unfortunately my husband died in 2002 from malignant melanoma).

Right well that's it I will have to carry on my story another time as my partner has just got out of bed and wandered into his office-cum-muck-tip of a bedroom and wants the computer (I must get one for myself).

I was just feeling sorry for myself and wanted someone to talk to. Hopefully will get back on on Tuesday. I am having problems coping and where to go from here as my doctor gives me sick notes but does not really offer any other help. I have been off work now since August 13th and they need to know what I am going to do but I dont know!!!!!

Sx[/quote:397fc99c35]

Hiya S, smile

Welcome to the CS forum.

I've had a rough couple of weeks between me upper back, me lower back, vertigo (again) an x-ray on my knee is showing degenerative desease. I have been feeling pretty miffed off.

Then my notebook decided to go off on one, and had to be sent back to the supplier it came back with all my details missing, soooooo I took a deep breathe and aaaarrrrhhhh! :D

Anyway, yep this condition certainly takes it out of you, there are days I can fight it and others I just give up and do nothing!!

I suppose I feel a little bit dissapointed that the op I had 2 years has not left me in a bit better condition than I am :roll:

Having a very understanding hubby is a tremendous +.

I have also resorted to wearing my collar again, I do find it helps me (Tony, how are getting on with yours?)

Take care S

Emxx :D

• Posted

Hi Em,

re collar. I still use it but not every day, I find it helps me a lot. I would use it more but keep reading that it can can make things worse. What do u think about that? could it make it worse or not ??

Keep smiling

\"its a lovely day tomorrow\"

Tony :lol: smile :D

• Posted

[quote:02d6a128bc=\"adrian18\"]Hi Em,

re collar. I still use it but not every day, I find it helps me a lot. I would use it more but keep reading that it can can make things worse. What do u think about that? could it make it worse or not ??

Keep smiling

\"its a lovely day tomorrow\"

Tony :lol: smile :D[/quote:02d6a128bc]

Hiya Tony :D

I tend to use my collar when I am sitting down, I think it helps stretch my neck, and stop the discs and any other bits that want to sit on top of each other from doing so. Just my thoughts.

The collars we have are very flexible and certainly helped me from feeling frightened of turning my head, it also lessened the( \"me 'eads dropping off me shoulders, it's that heavy) feeling.

If any of that makes sense let me know :D

Emxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.