Cervical spondylosis seems to be getting worse...

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have dealt with cervical sponylosis for two years (I recently turned 21). It has been getting progressively worse over time, but in the last four days, it has reached an entirely new level. I can hardly move my neck without immense pain, and the pain has spread to my upper back as well. I'm not sure what's going on, and I'm very frightened. I have tried pretty much every fix you could possibly think of, with the exception of surgery. My arm goes numb on and off, and has been for the past year. But doctors have all denied me surgery because of my age (I live in the US). The pain is unimaginable right now, as I can barely move my neck or even my arms without gasping for air for a moment from the pain. Do you think this is enough to finally get me the surgery I've been needing for two years? I plan on going to see a doctor later this afternoon to see if any new options have come up.

?(I also have three bulging discs and bone spurs in my cervical spine.)

Thank you in advance.

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Inhalemykiss,

Did this occur from some injury?  For your age, I wouldn't expect you to have these issues.  Here's how I have dealt, but mine is due to posture (computer/desk job) combined with over-doing it at the gym lifting weights. 

Helping core issue:

- Physical therapy

- chiropractor (be careful, research well)

- Aerobic exercise (obviously hard if you are in severe pain but perhaps in a pool)  Even if all you can do is take a walk, try to do it regularly and more often. 

- sunlight/heat, I find it helps, maybe psychologically.  

Pain management  

- drugs (ibuprofen and stronger stuff)

- hot/cold packs on your neck/back

- massage (deep tissue)

- change your lifestyle (temporarily hopefully).  if something helps, do more, if it hurts, do less.  take breaks.   Be aware of your posture, using a mobile device is really bad for next issues.  Better with a proper computer monitor and keyboard. 

Lastly, don't expect any miracle, overnight cures. Measure progress in 3 month units.  Not a bad idea to start a daily journal because we have a tendancy to forget how bad things used to be.  

• Posted

unfortunately there is no magic cure for cervical stenosis.  like  I said, steroid injections are preferred over surgery.  I've been evaluated by two spinal surgeons and that was their recommendation. 

pain relievers are risky.  I can't take any and they don't work for me.  If I take norco I throw up.  I like to drink and you can't mix alcohol with painkillers.  When pain hits alcohol does help but not good for me.

So I use topical and edibles because I won't smoke it.

good luck

maureen

• Posted

I'm 55 years old and have dealt with arthritis in different parts, but the bulging disks are related to me doing data entry for 20 years.  sucks...

• Posted

Have you had an MRI done and if so, what does that say with regards to disc bulge and nerve compression ?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.