cervical spondylosis with osteoporosis

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi have been in a lot of pain for over a year now doc says its cervical spondylosis but she says management is difficult because i have osteoporosis. I have pain at top of back and in left shoulder constant nerve pain, head ache everyday worse in the morning up and over back of head in to forehead and right temple. get nerve pain down both arms and achy hands have had my carpel tunnels done previously. I get a pain in the centre of my chest which radiates in to my upper back. At times i just ACHE all over i am 48 had menopause at 40 no hrt till last year. Now on hrt,fosimax,,,,,calci chew ,6 ibuprofen ,and 6 codydramol a day. Have started taking nytol antyhysthamine sleeping tablets at night just so i dont toss and turn too much in the night as it brings on a flare up which is awful. Have degeneration in c5 and c6 brought on by osteoporosis was diagnosed with spinal fracture but turned out to be CS .I have two children still at home am getting so worn down by it all tablets make me feel awful family just dont understand. Has anyone any experience of the symptoms of these two complaints combined as a lot of physio has been ruled out in case i fracture.

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

also wondered has anybody had any success with cervical support pillows every one that i have tried has been too high and left me in agony. Please any help you could give me would be much appreciated never knew how many people suffered such a lot of pain until i read all your posts thank you .
  • Posted

Hi Chery

I sympathise with all your distresses. All very similar to my own experiences with C/S at 5th and 6th vertebrae. I don't have Osteoporosis, I'm male, but almost all you mention is familiar to me. If you look up Cervical Spondylosis Self Management on this site you might find new non drug orientated advice on how best to manage the ever changing symptoms. There is also advice there on which pillows work best....the recommended memory foam cervical pillows are usually too stiff for this condition. Softer Cervical Orthoi pillows work better, especially for headaches, and are available on net. Sleeping postures and arrangements are critical to managing C/S as comfortably as possible, and you should be able to pick up some helpful tips if you search for C/S advice or C/S self management. either here or just on Google.

Gerry

• Posted

Hi i felt i must message you to thank you for your invaluable advice on cervical support pillows. During my current flare up i decided to bite the bullet and change my pillow, which from past experience i am always frightened of as it is usually agony for weeks. But on the first morning i woke up with no head pain!!!!!!! and actually i lay in until 8.30am!!!!!!!. Usually i am in terrible pain from 3am and give in and get up by 6am. I cant thank you enough for your help if i had known i would have tried it months ago. The appearance of the pillow just made me think i would be in agony for weeks whilst i got used to it. I have also been out today and bought the memory foam mattress topper you spoke of which i am looking forward to trying later. I am hoping to be well enough to go on holiday with my family but my new bedding will definatly be going with me . I have recently started taking devils claw but as i am still in flare up and have a lot of pain in the day it is hard to tell if it is working but i am hopeful that in a few weeks it should settle down again. It is a very steep learning curve this cs management and i feel like it is a battle but i think i won this round with your help. Thank you again for your kind help and advice and i hope you arent in too much pain at present with kind regards cheryl.
  • Posted

Hi chery

Glad to be of help, and glad that you got some relief. I think its important to try and get rid of the headache symptoms and thus clear the head for dealing with other symptoms. The ortho cervical pillow really helped me with this a few years ago. I don't know if you are interested, but I've posted some theories on Sleeping Postures for C/S on a physiotherapist's site ' Online Physio' under the heading 'Cervical Spondylosis and Delayed Symptoms'. I'm trying to get the professionals to rethink their approach to C/S because they seem to be overlooking some very simple and obvious aspects of the condition when they advise us. The methods I now use work so much better than 30 years of pretty useless advice and medications. You might find it interesting, and there's some useful tips on sleeping postures which can be very useful when the going gets tough. To me, self management and knowing how to improve what we wake up to tomorrow is what its all about. Most C/S sufferers live in fear of the unpredictable nature of this distressing condition, and maybe have never been advised that they can, to some extent, control the symptoms simply by readjusting their sleeping arrangements. Any lessening of symptoms means less meds and better quality of life.

PS....I totally understand what a little cosy morning lie in means to us....pure luxury !

Gerry

• Posted

Hi Gerry I sympathise with your condition and I hope all is well with you I came to know about this forum after my aunt was diagonised with osteoporosis and cervical spondalysis .she had fractured her waist  when she was a kid she was doing well until now after she was diagnoised with osteoporosis and spondalysis as a result she expereeirnce the same pain which you are facing .You were  talking about some Softer Cervical Orthoi pillows my aunt is expereincing severe pain especially in morning .So I'm thinking of buying it I also need your help how you are managing this condition would be very grateful to you if you help me out so that I can tell her she is a strong willed woman but lately i can see she is heading to depression and i want her to fight back and live heallthy in thsi condition.My emailid is ak_pathy84@yahoo.co.in .Kindly contact me god Bless you
  • Posted

Hi Cherry I sympathise with your condition and I hope all is well with you I came to know about this forum after my aunt was diagonised with osteoporosis and cervical spondalysis .she had fractured her waist  when she was a kid she was doing well until now after she was diagnoised with osteoporosis and spondalysis as a result she expereeirnce the same pain which you are facing .Gerry was talking about some Softer Cervical Orthoi pillows my aunt is expereincing severe pain especially in morning .So I'm thinking of buying it I also need your help how you are managing this condition would be very grateful to you if you help me out so that I can tell her she is a strong willed woman but lately i can see she is heading to depression and i want her to fight back and live heallthy in thsi condition.My emailid is ak_pathy84@yahoo.co.in .Kindly contact me god Bless you
  • Posted

Hi cherry. I,m new on here, and came across your post. I have had cs for about 4-5 years and have been diagnosed with osteoporosis in the last month. I have symptoms very similar to yours:- dizzyness, loss of co-ordination. headaches 24/7 shooting pains up left temple and accross my head, tingling/itching feeling ip left sideof head. I too have been told there is not a lot physio can do because i have compression fractures in my spine, but have a physio appointment on Thursday to see if gentle massage will help. Also to see if any exercises will free up the twisted nerve. I really sympathise with you, cs is horrible, and to be told you have osteoporosis as well really stinks. at the moment i am on co-codamol, alodronic acid, calcium vitd, and have been on zopiclone for ages for sleep. These do,nt seem to be helping at all with the pains. I notice your post was over a year ago,How are you getting on now, would love to hear how you are coping.
  • Posted

hi chery

I have both in my neck and lumber spine have had spondyloses for over 40 years and only just found out i have ostioporosis as well with sever  degration on lumber 2and 3 not funny at all is it I thought It was one and the same when i found out this so decided to have a look on here only to find they are two different conditions what a shock that was, i am lucky in as much as i don't now have a family to run after they are all running after their own now. but my problem is learning my limits, im one of these people that want to do it all myself and accept help is the hardest thing. but my family know how to get me to behave just make me promise lol i won't break a promise so i am stumped now lol have to get people in now if climbing is involved as i don 't have fantastic balance. i do easy excersize to keep me moving but the worst thing i think is sitting around and being afraid to do anything in case something breaks, i also take a load of tablets for pain i have tramadol also have 3 blood pressure tablets along with other stuff. chin up love we will all get through it you know what is said we are never given more than we can deal with I know some times we think we are given more but we do deal with it not always easy i know but we manage take care  

• Posted

Hi everyone

I hope you don't mind my joining your conversation. In need of some advice. I have been diagnosed with osteoporosis for over 10 years which might I add hasnt been re visited since diagnosis. As well as fibromyalgia and many other issues. My problem is this. 7 weeks ago I awoke with such horrendous pain, stiff neck, pain shoulder blade, down left arm and numbness tingling in said hand. Have seen 9 different people in the last 7 weeks with 4 different diagnosis. I saw a private osteopath who suggested cervical spondylosis. Have sine been to doctor who referred to physio, asking for a referral for an mri. Everyone passing the book and telling me its just posture. I can no longer cope with the pain. I have since found out my brother has cs. How do I get someone to take notice and get an xray or mri to rule in/out? Sorry for long story but desparate for advice.

thankyou in advance.

• Posted

hi there am a newby but nice to know there are other in the world coping with ostioparisis and spondylosis and managing them. any advice would be helpfull .i also am vit d difficiant and have epilepsie too so fractures are quite normal.as i said any help or advice would be helpful.I am 37 so in for the long run.
    • Posted

Hi Samantha, sorry to hear that you are also suffering from various illnesses too. Like I posted previously I have been having problems. I eventually got an mri which showed my disc had split and was pressing on my spinal cord which caused the pain and numbness. I was given pain relief and left, finally had a referral to a surgeon (about 8 months later) as they like it to settle by itself. A year after onset I had an injection into the area in my neck to help it. If that didn't work it would be an operation. Luckily this had helped, I still get pain and aches but it is manageable. I cope by being kind to myself, allowing rest, asking for help and not over doing things (which is hard). Hope this gives you some comfort, xx

• Posted

Hi Chery. You sound like me ..even tho I have not had a mri scan yet I got xray saying I had osteoarthritis ..but blood said no after been tested for carpet tunnel and that came back negative I hope I then get a mri but appointment not till April 2018 sad so in the mean time I'm trying to help my self...pain killers.supplements turamic and ginger.yoga.neck exercises.walking.change of diet .I paid 100€ for a flat pillow I got a latex topper for my bed .I rest a lot .when on mobile I lye flat on bed or rase arms I have tried every thing but I am a nail technician and know I have cervical spondylitis and it's because of sitting at a desk doing nails all day for 20 years ..but all the above I'm doing and still have pain in the head at the back and in my neck ..exercises each day help you can you tube it ..pillow helps I also take glucosamine ..one thing I have not tried is hrt and I have heard of in menapoures like I am hrt can help with nech pain I was wondering if you know anything about this ? And I would go on it if I new I would be pain free I've had this now 7 mth ..try some of the above it might help you smile I've also cut my hours down by half at work as u can't do it anymore ..

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.