Cervical Stenosis

Posted , 9 users are following.

My husband has just been diagnosed with this and the neurologist is now recommending surgery. Can someone tell me if they have gone through the surgery with successful results?

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi old MG driver,

I should have put" bone spurs are pushing in to the spinal cord", and, if the neurosurgeon does remove the spurs from the vertebrae they will remain stuck to the spinal cord and cannot be removed as to do so may damage the outer of the cord and result in infection or fluid leakage, and , eventually the remaining pieces will drop away from the cord and deposit themselves in the spinal column resulting in further issues.

I was not trying to worry anyone, simply stating my situation and experiences, which I think was what was requested by the poster.

Don't be put off by the "close to the spinal cord",argument, unbelievable! !!!

Mike.

• Posted

Dear

MIke I realise some of the problems are very difficult if not impossible to fix but I was told over and over that surgery was nigh impossible near the spinal cord until I found the right man. He told me the spinal cord is a seriously strong item That takes a lot to damage it. He explained that near the spinal cord is a set excuse a lot of doctors use because they find it easier to get rid if people.

He removes ingrowing bits by cutting a quarter section of the vertebra, lifting it out to access the area round the spinal cord, cleaning the bone structure up and re fitting the quarter, wiring it in so it grows back together. My comment is based on knowing a seriously skilled surgeon who knows what he is doing and s number of friends and relatives who have had "impossible" problems fixed by him

• Posted

Hi ,

I think that you have been fortunate to find the right surgeon.

I was originally told that I would have the operation and be back to normal within 6 months, very little risk involved, he does hundreds of these a year. Then I was notified it would take two operations, one from the front of neck and 6 months later another from the back of my neck.

Then, after I had requested my procedure put down on paper the second operation was omitted. When I dared to question this I was told that during the first operation, from the front, he would try to tidy up the bone spurs in the canal but his priority was relieving pain and numbness in my left arm.

By this time nearly 3 years had passed and the whole of my upper body was suffering along with intermittent spasmming of my bladder spyncter stopping me from urinating, due to spinal cord impingement.

Oh, we won't be able to put any of that back to normal. Hence I did not go ahead .

Mike.

• Posted

Same thing happened to me! It is a risky with few good outcomes!
  • Posted

I would not advise it. I had it done in 1999 and am disabled now. What happens is it causes the spine below and above the fusion to weaken. So they then need to fuse them. They want me to have a 4 level fusion which means I will barely be able to turn my neck. I was in and out of the hospital because of pain, the fusion caused my thoracic spine to herniated, woke up and thought I was having a heart attack it felt like an elephant was sitting on my chest! I worked for a surgeon before I started at a Hospital and they want to always do surgery as that is how they make the big bucks! Tell him to get a great physical therapist that understands how to work on people with spine issues to build up his muscles around his neck. Also, Accuuncture helps with the pain. It ruined my life as I had to retire from a job I loved! Surgery only after he has tried everything else and only if it can be harmful. I know most people after a few years are worse off than before the surgery! Also, get a second opinion by someone not associated with his doctor. Best of luck!
    • Posted

I will agree spinal fusion is a risky business long term as it makes the spine solid and loads the next joint down disproportionally.  Don't confuse it with disc replacement though. With the replacement, they cut away some vertebra either side of the joint and then insert a titanium bearing. 

There is no additional load on the other joints and the repair has no potential for future problems as it simply renews the faulty joint with a bearing that is better than the original disc. Putting people off fusion has its merits but I cannot see why anyone would refuse a disc replacement other than being frightened off with the usual "near the spinal cord" arguments. I have a friend who had spinal fusion when he was 45 about 20 years ago and do far he doesn't seem to have problems.

john

• Posted

Thank you for your responses. My husband is going through with the surgery. We had pre-op yesterday. He's pretty nervous but I have confidence in the doctor who's performing his surgery. Very experienced and one of the best on the island. He says it may not reverse his symptoms but will prevent any further damage. Wish him the best.

• Posted

Hi byroselle

i was send for a MRI SCAN in 2016 the result came back that I had cervical spine showing narrowing of the canal at  C5/6 with cord compression and T2 signal change

on examination the reflexes are brisker in my legs than my arms.Threr is weakness in my finger extension and the  intrinsic in my right hand.There is weakness in my right  legs in a pyramidal pattern.

Im unable to work apply for ESA than I had send for work capability Assessment and was refused I due to have surgery on May 31st may 2017.

I have asked for a mandatory reconsideration decision.

I don't know how DWP let these people who are not qualified trained doctor.

I don't know how DWP 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.