cervical stenosis ongoing

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi All,

I have been posting here fore a while now, sometimes needing, sometimes helping.This is a needing information post.

I have suffered progressive cervical stenosis/spondylosis with my old path for 6 years, The prognosis is that all cervical vertebrae are beyond repair and the bone spurs (osteophytes?), are gradually growing further into my spine at levels C4,5,6 and 7. My pain control pathway is holding up for now but my everyday symptoms are changing. I feel very tired and lethargic all the time and can fall asleep very easily whatever time of day. Now, when I write down my meds you will think that's the problem, but I have been taking these meds for several years now.

Naproxen 500 mg 1 twice a day

gabapentin 900mg 3 times a day

Amatryptaline 40 mg at night

sertraline 40 mg per day

Morphine patch 10 microns 24/7

I also take certrazine and purple and blue inhalers for asthma, and tablets for my cholesterol.

Now, are there any others on here taking the same meds for simular cervical problems feeling tired all the time, or should I be concerned that my spinal cord compression is now leading to blood/oxygen supply deficiency to the brain.

Mike.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I have myelopathy from compressed cord from c3-7. Already had 2 fusions one posterior and one anterior. I am fatigued and tired on and off all day and night. When was your last MRI. I would see if you have compression of you would have others symptoms like hand , leg weakness or balance and gait issues if compression was bad. I do not take any of your stated meds . I am on aleve and muscle relaxers.
  • Posted

Hi Sgr111,

I have suffered fingers, hands and arms numbness for several years now and complete loss of upper body strength along with heavy tired painful legs and bladder problems.

My last mri was a few months ago and my consultant neurosurgeon said that compression had progressed but all the cervical vertebrae were problematic and multiple fusion was not an option.

Mike.

• Posted

I left it up to drs since 1997 and my MRI in 2006 showed cord compression, at that time I was having dizziness and bad headaches pain in neck and sore muscles like the flu so they diagnosed me in 2001 with fibro and herniated discs resulting from whiplash in 1997. They kept sending me for pt and chiro treatments all those years, . in 2011 I noticed weakness in hands , left leg and severe fatigue, quit my job and Dr sent me to a rheumatologist who for 5 yrs kept telling me it was fibro and inflammatory arthritis. I finally found my own Dr in 2015 and she did a full exam and sent me for lumbar and cervical MRIs. Immediately called me 1hour after the mri and said you need to see a surgeon. Ended up having progressive myelopathy from cord compression of 5mm which normal space is like 14mm at least. Surgeon was surprised I was still walking. Had acdf c5-6 2weeks later. The symptoms subsided for 3 months then came back with a vengeance because I had congenital stenosis causing compression from the back side of my cord, so had a posterior cervical fusion c3-7 with hardware 1year later sept 2016.

If I were you I would get a 2nd or 3rd opinion, you know there's something wrong in your body. Neurologist, and orthopedic surgeon can give a 2nd option on this too, not just neurosurgeons.

Don't wait, the longer you have symptoms the more chance of being permanent even after correction from surgery which is only to keep it from getting worse. Wish I would have listened to myself but I thought I was pretty persistent. But someone dropped the ball.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.