Cervical stenosis. When to pursue surgery?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I've had MRI evidence of moderately severe cervical stenosis for two years and the neurosurgeon would be happy to operate. However, I don't have terrible symptoms...some right sided headaches and loss of balance. How have any of the others of you determined when it was time to "take the plunge." It feels like I've got a time bomb in my neck.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi. I too was waiting for surgery, but my last mri scan revealed that I couldn't have the surgery, because it had gone past the stage to have surgery. Mine is as bad as it gets. I am now being referred to a pain clinc, for both my neck and lumber spine. My surgeon has said that I will be offered injections.
    • Posted

Thank you Lesley! I really appreciate your advice, and hope that you find some good relief from your discomfort.
  • Posted

I had no choice when it came to surgery, my vertebrae were pinching my spinal cord. My doctor said I was on the road to paralysis and she couldn't provide a guess as to the improvement I would see.

My response is to remain in contact with your doctor, but do not eliminate the possibility of surgery, yet, do not wait til it becomes a necessity versus a choice.

• Posted

Thank you Michelle. From what it looks like, cervical stenosis can be far more dangerous than lumbar stenosis, even though at first it may not hurt as much. I hope you're healing very well!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.