Cervicitis is stressing me out

Posted , 2 users are following.

I recently found out I have Bv and Cervicitis. The gynecologist gave me Metronidazole for the bv and Azithromycin for the cervicitis. She told me to get tested for chlamydia & gonnorhea and trich which I did and they all came back negative. I'm not sure what other testing I should do to find out the cause of my Cervicitis. I also heard NGU is the equivalent of Cervicitis . So they told me that means my boyfriend has NGU is this true? I'm highly confused. Please help

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I posted on your other thread before I saw this, which has more information, so I'm reposting.  It looks like you're already getting treated, which should fix the problem, but it's unlikely you'll ever be able to identify what caused it.

Cervicitis is just inflammation of the cervix, and isn't an STI - virgins can get it too.  Your boyfriend may have NGU, as it's easily transmitted between partners, but either of you could have infected the other, and it doesn't mean that either of you has had sex with anyone else.

It may just fix itself, but depending on how bad the symptoms are, you may need to see a gyno.  In the meantime, some of these links may help:

https://patient.info/health/common-problems-of-the-cervix

Inflammation of the neck of the womb (cervix), called cervicitis, can also be caused by other conditions. These include:

Allergies - for, example to condoms or to spermicides.

Irritation - for example, from tampons.

Radiotherapy - cervicitis can be a side-effect of radiotherapy which is used to treat some cancers

For cervicitis not caused by infections, there is usually no treatment.

https://patient.info/search.asp?searchterm=urethritis

If you do see another doctor, then if you could update this thread and tell us what they say, it would be appreciated.  Good luck.

• Posted

Is NGU a std or sti? also could it be possible that bv or NGU might have caused my Cervicitis? Are there any other testing I should do to find out what caused my Cervicitis, I also heard mycoplasma and ureaplasma can also cause cervicitis 
    • Posted

NGU isn't an STD or STI.  Either that or BV could have caused the cervicitis, but I don't think there's any way to find out for sure.

• Posted

I was wondering because when I google NGU most of the pages I seen says it's a common std . I hope I get the answers I need once I schedule another appointment thank you for your help. 

• Posted

NGU is often a symptom of an STI (eg chlamydia), and can be sexually transmitted, but it doesn't count as an STI, since people can get it without sexual contact.  Similarly BV can be caused by sexual contact, but since even virgins can get it, it isn't an STI.

https://patient.info/health/non-gonococcal-urethritis

Non-gonococcal urethritis (NGU) is due to causes other than gonorrhoea. This used to be called nonspecific urethritis (NSU). 

No cause can be found in about 3 in 10 cases. STIs that are not identified by tests are probably the cause of some of these but not all. However, it is not possible to say which of these cases are due to infection and which are not.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.