Cervicogenic headache?

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hey guys

Can anybody help?

I've been having issues for the past year or so and I think it's stemming from my neck. I get what I think is dizziness. Like a woooooo sensation in my brain. I can be off balance and wobbly while walking. I can get vertigo and visual vertigo. The right side at the back of my neck will be sore. If I feel the muscles there they are very tight and feel thick. Massaging them is quite sore. I also get a very sore head accompanying it and I can get pins and needles in my face, either at the jaw or at the temple. I can also get pins and needles and like a strange numbness in my face, arms and some time legs. I can still feel my arm etc if i touch the skin and no problems moving the limb but it does feel weak and it can switch sides so my GP has ruled out mini strokes. Has said it could be migraines. I have saw 2 neuro's who said it was partial seizures but that doesn't fit and they just seem to have ignored the other symptoms I told them. I've been on the anti seizure meds for months now and it's still the same. No pattern that I have been able to figure out. Some days I am fine. Some days I am bad. And some days I am very bad. Only thing that kinda helps is propranolol which can be used for headaches and diazepam which is a muscle relaxer. It's only recently that I've realised that usually my neck is sore before the episodes kick off

Thanks

Chris

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Chris

I think I have similar symptoms to you, I finally got diagnosed to have cervicogenic headaches after couple of years of trying all sorts of different treatments, scans, medications etc. I take propranalol, which the same as you only sort of helps and I'm weaning off those and only taking them once a day, I got to thinking that as the side effects can also be the same as my symptoms that maybe they were part of the problem. I have botox migraine injections every 3 months, these have been the most helpful of everything so far and I have got to the stage that some days can be quite good, which is a miracle!

It seems to be a long old road to recovery but it seems you have to try all these different tablets and treatments before anyone will take you seriously. I hope you're having a 'good' day today.

best wishes

Jude 

• Posted

Hi Jude

Yeah today as bad as the symptoms can be it was a "good" day. What about yourself? That's good though you have finally gotten a diagnosis as from the reading I have been doing it can be hard to diagnose as it can mimic lots of things. Can I ask if you have ever had physio for it? And what do you do for a job?

My partner got me a shiatsu massager and it's been a life saver so I would highly recommend one but it's a vicious circle as mine mainly flares up in work (desk job) so most days it's home and straight up to bed to massage my neck but it does help.

I've emailed a physio who I'll see on Wednesday. I have told my symptoms and he said he will assess me and see what the situation is but said it should be something he can treat

Thanks

Chris

• Posted

Dear Chris

Today not too bad but had to give up for a few hours this afternoon and rest up for a while, I find that, if I can, sleep is really the only time there is no headache. I started going to a chiropractor who also does dry needles a year or so ago and he helped me immensely, I still go every few months when I can afford it. My sister is a physio and she gives a few tips of different exercises to do but it hasn't really helped me that much. I also saw a cranio osteopath for a year and although it was very calming, it didn't really do much for the headaches. I used to run a wildlife hospital for 25 years but unfortunately got very ill and am now disabled and live with my assistance dog who is my sanity! So I am very lucky that I don't have to be at a workplace every day, it must be so difficult for you on really bad days.

best wishes 

Jude 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.