cervicothoracic mri scan

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi guys 

just a quick one ... i had a mri scan at my local hospital approx 2 years ago which showed a suggested disc herniation at T6/T7 however my gp told me these were only axial images which essentially mean "from one side "

i am now under a neurosurgeon at the "walton neuro center " who has ordered another MRI scan ( cervicothoracic ) and according to my gp this scan will be more detailed and may show either 

1) the herniation isnt that bad 

2) the herniation is causing the left side discomfort  

my question is ... what is the difference between the original MRI and the cervicothoracic MRI ..... im guessing the neuro center at walton have more advanced MRI scanners but any feedback would be much appreciated 

cheers guys 

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Hey Brian

?I am been getting thoracic spine pain for about a year and a half. One of the area I believe is the T6 area which runs near the bottom of the shoulder blades and just under the nipples at the front end. This has cause me to suffer from abdominal pain and issues. The abdominal issues mainly consist of indigestion and LPR. Never had digestion issues in my life until this injury. Have a hard time making doctors believe this since they all believe that digestion is independent of spine, but I keep telling them that there is some relationship. They keep saying its vice versa, but I tell them its not since I had the back pain way before I started suffering form indigestion. Did you ever suffer from indigestion as well? I have been taking Lyrica. Now I now you have been taking Gabapentin, and you have said that it has helped with the pain. How long before it kicked in? What's your current dosage? Is it still effective after being on it for so long because I have heard that you become immune to it? How did your appointment with the neuro go? Did you figure out if its a herniated disc or intercostal neuralgia? Did the neuro try any treatment (injections, etc) that have helped? Did the cervicothoracic mri provide more details? More importantly, how are you now days? Sorry for all the questions. I am just trying to cope with this. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.