Cessation of Atorvastatin

Posted , 3 users are following.

Stopped atorvastatin about 3 weeks ago, had peripheral neuropathy, sweats, memory problems etc etc. Side effects have actually seemed to get a bit worse since I stopped taking it. And I now have depression as well. Do these symptoms get worse before they get better after you stop taking it? G.P. told me that it builds up in your system over the years which is why you don't always get side effects straight away. Because of this she said that it could be a good couple of months before I see an improvement. But do you get worse before you get better and is depression part of this? Thank you so much for your help.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I was having severe leg cramps on Atorvastatin after taking for 12 years. They got better almost immediately, but it took about a month for the cramps to go away completely. Maybe soon you will see a gradual improvement. Am now taking Prevastatin and have no side affects, although I was completely off Atorvastatin for 3 months before beginning Prevastatin.
  • Posted

Hi joy1953 - there should be a slow improvement. Takes time. I threw the poison away 3 years ago and just getting back to my old self again. I was depressed while on it because of the multiple snowballing issues it produced while the quack denied everything. Take it one day at a time, it will get better, sorry you have had to suffer like this.
    • Posted

Thank you for messaging me, it's appreciated. Yes, everyone I've spoken to says it takes a long time. I've suffered from depression in the past so am very aware of what's happening to my mental state. I wasn't depressed while taking the statins, it started as soon as I stopped taking them made worse by the peripheral neuropathy getting a bit worse, not better as I'd hoped. And to be honest I think that everything was made worse by the extreme heat so I'm not eating or sleeping properly. Oh well, looks like I've got a bumpy few months ahead. Thank you so much for your post.

• Posted

Hi again Joy - can't resist telling you - my mothers' name is Joy and she was born in 1935. She still thinks she's 53 tho.

• Posted

I was born in 1953, almost the same if you swap the numbers round lol. And I still think I'm 35, we could be sisters!! Lol

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.