Cetirizine Side Effects

Posted , 4 users are following.

I was prescribed Cetirizine as a Non Drowsy anti histamine, two hours after taking a 10mg dose I fell asleep for 7 hours. I was at times aware of people but was unable to pull myself awake, when I finally managed to wake up I was disorentated, my balance was bad and my vision was affected, a minor side effect was my mouth was extremely dry.

It does say on the box they and I quote \" May affect your driving reaction time \", there was no leaflet enclosed with the medication.

I would like to warn people particularly those who are sole carers for small children or a reliant person about the possibility of this severe side effect, I personally will not take Cetirizine again.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I have taken Cetirizine in the past with no side effects whatsoever and this medication will affect different people in different ways, as with all medications. You can ask your doctor to prescribe you a anti histamine that won't cause drowsiness as i'm pretty sure they have them available although you just never know how anything is going to affect you.
  • Posted

I'm so sorry, i have just reread your post and have seen it was prescribed as a non drowsy anti histamine.
  • Posted

I took a dose on Saturday while I was away on a house party. I had been sold it as a non drowsy treatment for hay fever. I also had a couple of itchy insect bites. An hour later I nearly keeled over from my chair while listening to a talk. I went to bed and was in a strange sort of sleep not really awake and was confused. i kept seeing faces in front of my face. I stayed lying down for 4 hours as i could not sit up without going faint. I did not feel better for a further 2 or 3 hours or so and the tiredness persisted to a lesser degree all evening. I would never take another tablet as I could have been driving that afternoon and on a long hike. As it was I missed out on a lot  but was safe fortunately. Piriton never affected me in this way nor loratidine.
  • Posted

I have cztrizine, bought it a few months ago, but haven't taken it. Thanks for the warnig. 

Do you have hey fever? What have you prescibed it for? 

Depending on your symptoms, there might be better options than cetrizine.

I have taken claratine, no side effect what so effer, but it didn't help much either. But I know it works for lots of people. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.