Cetraben, has it changed?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Just wondering if anyone else uses cetraben as their emollient cream. I have used it from early days with LS because it was the only thing I could tolerate and that really worked.

But I recently started a new pot and it stings so much when I put it on that I nearly go through the roof! Still keeps me comfy and itch-free once the sting has worn off, but it's not very nice!

Has anyone else had a similar problem? I wondered if the ingredients had changed, but I've thrown the last one away when it was empty so I can't compare.

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I've never used Cetraben but I've had the same experience with another emollient cream. Eventually I couldn't use it at all. I was told I'd developed a sensitivity to it and I ought to try something else. Now I use fresh-pressed virgin coconut oil and it works fine. I think it's pretty neutral and wholesome. 
    • Posted

Yes, I wonder if that had happened. It just happened that I started the new pot at the same time that I had a flu-type virus earlier this month, and I was achy all over and my skin on my torso was so sore I couldn't even wear a bra. Perhaps that's what caused the sensitivity - but it didn't get better when I did!
    • Posted

My original cream was full of antioxidants and other good stuff, but it also contained a carrier oil. It was the carrier oil my doctor said would be a problem. But I tried the same stuff but with a different carrier oil (rose) - and it created the same problem - and it didn't matter where I used it on my body. I'm starting to think the antioxidants and vitamins and other good stuff have to come to the LS through food, not direct application of cream.
  • Posted

I've just read the label on the cetraben. I knew it mainly contained white soft paraffin and liquid paraffin, but there is also a warning on the label that it contains cetostearyl alcohol, which I have had problems with before in other products. But I notice that's also in my face cream, which doesn't upset me at all. Just one of life's mysteries I suppose.
  • Posted

Hi there - I have two tubs of Cetraben - one older than the other - and yes the ingredients have changed.  I think I've had some irritation too. Strangely enough though, it seems that they've taken out the parabens from the old ingredients.  I don't think I can post photos here - when I have time I'll type them out for you in a message - quite a long list!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.