CFS?

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi all. 36yo male

I'll try keep this short

I've been up and down for a few years now.

Symptoms have included (some still do):

Extreme tiredness/fatigue.

Painful lymph nodes/tender (but don't seem swollen)

White tongue (mainly at back but consistent)

Extreme anxiety

Poor dry skin.

Athletes foot or very dry soles/cracked skin

Impaired wound healing

Loose body hair

Brittle nails

Poorer vision (but do wear glasses)

Dizziness (now and then)

Aches and pains (especially in morning)

Sleep disturbances/insomnia/I could sleep standing up given the chance at times....

IBS

I've had loads of tests including STI, blood counts, Testosterone levels, urine tests etc etc.....all clear.....except low folic acid and vitamin D

Going out my mind as to what i have. Docs seem clueless. Always anxiety related according to them. Pffft.

Any info would be great. Anyone else suffered any/all those symptoms

😔

Gareth (UK)

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

I haven't been diagnosed with cfs yet but I have many of the symptoms you have, my doctors haven't found anything yet except low vitamin d and folic. All my doctors say that low vitamin d and low folic acid is quite common and I just need to take supplements and I will be ok (they already tested for celiac and Crohn's). But other than that they offer no help at all. Some suggested that it might be cfs but no proper diagnosis yet. If you get to the bottom of this please share with us.

• Posted

Hi, dont be afraid to challenge your doctor and ask for a second opinion. I went with a list of things that were happening to me, and wouldnt leave until they did something. Not in a unfriendly way, but you should tell them if this is impacting on your lifestyle, overall health, a GP is rarely going to find CFS as they dont have that knowledge. If I am ill I get someone who knows me very well to come with me to help explain to the doctor how it is impacting and what my symptoms are. Most people, men esp tend to hide stuff which does us no good esp when it comes to docs. A diagnosis is quite hard to come by, I fortunately was able to push for one but if you believe you have it dont be afraid to ask why they think you dont. If they say take supplements ask them for a review period to monitor the effect, if positive great if not then it would seem second opinion time or referral to the CFS team.

• Posted

you are right, sometimes it is really difficult to keep pushing for a diagnosis. I keep feeling like no doctor wants to see me anymore. I have heard too many times the phrase " there is nothing I can do for you" from them that I don't even want to go to anyone anymore.

thank you for the response

• Posted

Have you been diagnosed with M.E, CFS, if not i would be asking for a referral to your local team. If your secondary conditions are the anxiety then make sure you make that clear to the doctors and state it is because of the issues relating to what you are suffering from and the lack of suitable medical assistance. If no luck, ask for a second opinion, unfortunately it is a long drawn out process. If you have had those blood tests it would suggest they have started going down that path as most CFS teams have a set of tests to be done before referral. There is no magical help after that unfortunately if it is CFS but it would be a start.

• Posted

I must have seen every doctor in the surgery at some point. I havnt been diagnosed with anything (par anxiety)

And I'm told the same thing over and over. Anxiety itself is a vicious cycle.....I get anxious due to the symptoms, but the symptoms make me anxious. And as that's in my history I believe they find it easier to diagnose it as that. It was myself that demanded the blood tests. Just those vitamin deficiencies as I said come up. But I read somewhere that low folic and vitamin d is common with cfs??

I too was tested for intolerances and Crohns.....clear.

Thanks for response so soon.

• Posted

Gaz,

It must be awful, especially those skin and hair symptoms.

The classic ME symptoms are: delayed reaction to exertion, and the resulting fatigue not substantially alleviated by rest.

Anxiety is not the right name for what you are suffering if you do have M.E. M.E. docs call that symptom agitation and is caused by uncontrolled overactive adrenals. The classic sign is that you get as much agitation from laughing and fun as from fight/fright responses: part of the cruelty of the illness. It's a real symptom and its foul.

Don't let them call it anxiety: anxiety is caused by the mind - the nerves and by certain phobias or stresses; everyone has anxiety: but with the healthy, if distracted by going to a 'safe' place and doing 'safe' things, anxiety melts away. Agitation you can get in safe places with safe people and doing hitherto enjoyable and relaxing things. Its not in the mind. Never give any doc the impression its in the mind, or that you are depressed. You are p****d off at being ill, but that's not depression. M.E. is not a mental illness.

• Posted

Thank you for this response. I got Mono 18 months ago and I'm not recovered. I have the delayed response to exertion (even laughing/singing). Usually 48 hours later. I have so many symptoms it's hard to keep track of. I've been told everything from post viral fatigue to fibro to chronic lyme. It's maddening not knowing what's going on. My only positive tests now are elevated EBV and very elevated HVV6 titers and a slightly low CD57. My lyme test is indeterminate. I keep praying I'll recover but it's easy to lose hope. This is my first response in this particular forum. I've been active on the mono forum but it feels like it's now morphed into something else. I live only a 2 hour flight away from the Stanford University Chronic Fatigue Clinic and I'm thinking I will try and get on their waitlist. I just can't accept this sickness and wait it out. Being proactive alleviates at least some of the stress.

• Posted

Hi Gareth

If you haven't investigated already, look into what you are eating, I was experiencing near enough all your symptoms particularly the lymph nodes and the body anxiety and complete fatigue, brain fog etc and it all came down to food intolerances, for a short period try cutting out the main culprits one at a time like cows milk, gluten etc and see if at least stops the fight and flight responses, mine have all gone now and I had them for years not knowing.

Its worth just noticing after eating certain foods how it makes you feel just after you have eaten it, particularly in the morning. Definitely cut out/down on the caffeine, alcohol and sugar if you haven't already as that exasperates the endocrine system/adrenal glands etc, anything you body classes as a toxin will kick it off and then have the knock on affect to the rest of your system.

Thanks

Sophie

• Posted

Thanks Sophie.

I will try that. I must say I am a bit of a caffeine and sugar fiend.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.