CFS

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi, hope someone can advise, for the last 18months I have suffered cough sore throat headaches, lack of vitamin D for joint pains, on anti depressants for 8 years. And tiredness, some days I start a job in the house and can't be bothered to finish it.

i have been to doctors had blood tests done everything ok but the vitamin d which tablets 5 daily am on.  But the sore throat goes and comes back headaches , eyes have been tested... All ok.   

Antibiotics have been given but within days of finishing the course my cough and throat are back. 

I am also going through the menopause aged 47

does anybody recognise these symptoms being CFS

hope to hear from somebody

christine

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

The problem with ME is the symptoms change all time you never know what your going to get next and you think there is another illness going on, then you get tedted and ot shows nothing wrong, tjen your gp thinks you have depression or hypochondria.
  • Posted

Christine, when you say persistent cough , off and on ,is it non productive ? When you say sore throat, is it red and inflamed and hurts when swallowing,or pain and discomfort throat jaw ear? When you say ' can't be bothered to finish ' do you mean , have absolutely not enough strength or energy to carry on?
    • Posted

Hi, my cough is chesty had 2 X-rays nothing found, it's just catarrh , throat is red and pain ful to swallow and goes up to ear .  I work 12 HR shifts in nursing home so exhausted I can start a job for example loading dishwasher and can't be bothered to finish. Doctor trying different antibiotics but says if no better will do glandular fever screen. Thank you for replying 
  • Posted

Hi christine; I have read the other responses before answering your question.  I do feel that, yes, you do have concerns; but I am not one to jump in and say "yes, I thing you have CFS'....I would encourage you and your GP to rule everything else out first...I do suggest you have yourself checked out for Glandular Fever (the one confirmative symptom that I always come across with my patients, was not so much a "sore ear", but if you press on the hard bone behind the ear, The Mastoid Bone, is a simple and positive result for Glandular.  Your sore throat, also could be a symptom, and if your immune system is down, try Horse Raddish and Garlic Tablets twice a day to start with for a couple of months, and then keep taking them , 1 a day, ongoing.  I'm pleased your GP has had chest exrays done; has he suggested an Bronchioscopy to ensure no malignancy? however, I do think that after 18 months, you would have more symptoms of malignancy..I do feel for you doing 12 hour shifts in a Nursing Home, as that would tire anybody out...I get very frustrated with the fact they have bought back the 12 shifts, as they were banned 40 years ago for the very reason that nurses were too tired to work proficiently, and nurses/doctors are supposed to be our front-line carers, and need to be capable of being able to give the best of care......How long is it since you actually had a Decent period off work, as in not just a couple of weeks holiday, but perhaps Long Service Leave...or are you in the position of Causally Employed (as is also what is happening in today's workfore, so employers don't have to give Long-service/holiday  pay)...Can I ask where you live...and what form of superannuation you have...for if you feel that you cannot take paid leave to give your body a rest, perhaps you may have to look at a way that you can, as I think that you need to have an extended break, first, before any other answers can be given...I feel for you, as it sounds as if you could be on a Roller Coaster effect, and can't see where to turn next???  I know that Menopause in itself can be debillitating, as we end up with many side-effects, including some depression - do you think that the ant-depressants could be contributing to your tiredness?  The two ways I deal't with my symptoms, was originally taking a Medicinal Herb (Remifemin) plus Executive BPlus, and then went on a Prescription therapy of Oestrogen Pecaries (hoping that spelling is correct)..for the Vaginal Dryness and moods..these also have helped me greatly.  To help you decide if your symptoms come into the category of CFS/ME, perhaps you could go through the list of symptoms that can be found, by researching same on internet sites for same?  I do hope that in my rambling, that you may gain some help....keep on this forum site, even for the emotional support that you need.   Talk again soon...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.