Cfs

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi I have cfs for over 10 years now I had to stop working and I had to give up my my cross stitch as I don't have concentration anymore and I find it hard to talk to people about how I feel as they don't understand about cfs and I can't climb stairs no more so I have a room downstairs where the bathroom is on the same floor. I have gave up on making love as I get in pain to quickly and yes I am 49 and on 10 tablets a day and if I go out with the family on a day out I use a wheelchair which is not fair on my family so I don't go out no more as I want to do things for myself but as days go on I am doing less for my self I hope it not just me

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

No, it's not just you! I've had to give up a lot of what I loved and cherished. I'm a very artsy-craftsy type of person too and I gave up counted cross stitch. It takes a huge amount of concentration. But there still may be some cross stitch kits available where the crosses have been pre printed in color before you stitch it. Also I found adult coloring books to be fun and relaxing for me and they don't take much if any concentration. You can get them online and you can order the pens, pencils, markers, etc online as well.

I don't go out much either. I shop online and I'm fine with that. I have a company called Peapod deliver my food and I shop on Amazon for miscellaneous items. It's a luxury that I'm really grateful for.

My love life is also not anywhere near what it use to be but I managed to find a significant other right before I got sick who is more interested in companionship. We only see each other about 2 times a week and only for a few hours each day and if I need to rest or meditate he will meditate with me. It's not perfect but it works for the most part.

I have a CFS buddy who I skype with once a week who lives in England (I'm in USA) and we share for 20-30 minutes how we are doing and what we want to accomplish the following week.

Some suggestions: adult coloring books, uplifting books to read, crossword puzzle books, find more online support groups, find a "buddy" that you can "checkin" with online once a week, gratitude journal, watch a favorite comedy show: something that really makes you laugh (I'm currently watching the whole 11 seasons of Frazier), do whatever exercises you can manage even if it's just leg lifts in your chair, small weight lifts with your arms, neck rolls, CHAIR YOGA, etc. , also meditation is wonderful (there are some great guided meditations on you tube as well as chair yoga routines), and most important, eat healthy.

• Posted

It's not just you! I'm 7-1/2 yrs. into this illness.

I have similar physical/ mental issues with my progressively severe CFS/ ME symptoms. I live on our downstairs sofa, near the kitchen, 1/2 bath, and HVAC controls when in "flare up" mode.

I was losing my ability to climb the stairs but decided that that was not acceptable. I practiced a slow but steady one foot, then the other assent but that was only until I could convince myself to just look at the top of the stairs and imagine that I'm just walking down a hallway to my bedroom instead of "climbing".

Mental focus on very simple goals keeps me mobile. It will be a bit painful for you until you "decide" to control the way you look at, or attack those little but reachable physical goals.

I think if I allow myself to give up all physical activity due to some pain or difficulty in acheiving simple but necessary movements, I would be open to defeat in all ways. Don't give up. It is amazing to see your body do what you mind convinces you is acheivable! Keep hope alive by little successes that build your confidence. I forced myself to try, and now I just remember what I should be thinking (I'm just walking down a hallway, not climbing) and I can continue to move my body beyond the symptoms or normal limitations. Mind over matter can work!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.