CFS and flu shot?

Posted , 6 users are following.

So, I got the flu shot the other day. Not sure that was the best plan. Pretty much had a moderate case of the flu all weekend with the muscle aches and weakness to the point it hurt my head/neck to hold it up. Freaked me out thinking my symptoms had gotten way worse. How many have gotten the flu shot? Recommended or not?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Charcey,

I had the flu shot about 6 years ago for the 1st time. Big mistake! It took hold within 20 mins to the point I couldn’t walk & caused a major relapse. Never again for me. Although everybody doesn’t experience the same, I’ve heard of others having it with no adverse reactions. I guess we don’t know till we try it how we will react. If I hadn’t have tried it I’d have always wondered if it would have worked, so don’t beat yourself up for trying to look after yourself. Take it easy, rest up & allow it to pass.

• Posted

I started having 'flu jabs in 2001, having gone down with severe 'flu (3+ months off work) followed by "post viral debility" as it was then termed, at the beginning of that year. MY GP recommended it and I really didn't want a repeat, so I went for it. In 2007 I developed CFS, but continued to have the 'flu jabs without any ill effects (providing I was at my best when I had the injection) until this year, when it sent me backwards for a time. I gather that, because the injection was not that effective amongst over 65s last year they included some kind of "immune booster" in this year vaccine and I am wondering whether that has mess with my delicate immune system. I know of others who have been affected, also, so I will be much more cautious next year.

Trouble is it is rock v. hard place. Do I not have it and risk getting 'flu, which itself could set me back, or do I risk it again, with the possible set back? Mind you, even with the jab last year I did go down with 'flu, but feel it was not as bad as "normal" 'flu, and I did recover reasonably well, so maybe the jab helped to reduce the symptoms? Who knows! Such a tricky decision.I think I will speak to my GP about it all next year - mind you I doubt whether they will help, as so many have little knowledge and even less understanding of ME.

Sorry, but of a rambling reply! I'd be interested to hear if others have had a similar reaction or have any ideas.

• Posted

I made the huge mistake of having my first ever flu jab 3 months ago. I've had cfs for roughly 30 years and have had countless ups and downs during that time.

The last 3 months since the jab have been amongst the very worst I've ever experienced. Maybe even the worst - I'm beginning to think this is never going to ease off.

Hope you're doing better since your jab.

• Posted

Hi Charcey,

I had the flu shot some years back and it unfortunately caused a relapse. So I'll never have it again. I did recover in time though but it was back to resting and symptoms again.

I know someone with Trigeminal Nuralgia and it caused their symptoms to worsen for a while too. So the vaccine must do something to the nervous system.

I realise you posted this sometime ago so I hope you're feeling better now........

• Posted

Thank you all for your replies. It took a few months after the shot, but I recovered. Hopefully, those of you dealing with this will recover quicker. Best wishes to you all!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.