CFS and food

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi all. I have undiagnosed CFS but I am in the process of getting diagnosed. I often too exhausted to cook food or go to the shop and get food to eat, and I don't have any supportive friends who are willing to help me get food. Does anyone know of any meal replacement like drinks as I'm losing weight and energy because I'm so hungry but simply don't have the energy to get food!! It's horrendous and any simple recommendations would be amazing. Thanks 

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I've been in exactly the same situation as you. I found two things useful: relatively healthy frozen meals, like Amy's; and food delivery services, like UberEats, that deliver meals from restaurants. In the case of UberEats, when I order from one restaurant, I get a few meals at a time. Of course, I don't know where you live, and if these ideas are possibilities for you.

• Posted

Sorry you are going through this. Not sure what city, state of even country you are in, but there must be a delivery type service. Do not fall in the trap I did initially, which was eat a lot of comfort food to offset my misery. Never mind the unwanted fat, but with lack of exercise the wrong foods can quickly change your blood chemistry negatively. Have you ever tried fasting? It’s something that worked for me initially. I need to try again. I made a few mistakes the first time. 
  • Posted

Hi there, I know it’s difficult as I have had this condition for 6 years and it is a steep learning curve. If you can, do some bulk cooking as home cooking is better than takeaway. Buy a slow cooker if you don’t have one already,  naturally you will want to complete things or try to process things at the same pace as before the illness as I’m sure you well aware your capabilities will have changed.

You will be able to still cook, but it takes probably a lot more time and energy. If you are able to I find putting headphones on and listening to something I enjoy is helpful whilst doing it, no interruptions or other inputs.  And having something to sit on nearby or lean on. Breaking it up so not all of the meal has to be done all at once is another way round it. 

Personally I have put on weight since having this condition as I overeat as I have no sense of appetite, or taste sometimes. I have just cut out sweetness and processed sugar to give my body a break from the high fat and sugary foods I have become reliant on. Mostly I assume because my body was wants energy and those foods are naturally a go to in an emergency. Although with this illness the brain and body are severely confused so try and keep to simple healthy foods if possible. But do not cut out things you enjoy too much, as cutting back things you enjoy is something of a recurring theme with M.E. 

But you are not alone, and it will get better as we all find a way through it. Hopefully your friends can help too, hope that helps / makes sense.

• Posted

Learn to cook meals with minimal effort in minutes

Oven fries

microwave veg + oven cooked from frozen protein

microwaveable rice

cans of food

get you shopping delivered to you with lots of frozen stuff or things that can be frozen if you don’t cook. 

Salmon or cheese or ham slices that you can portion up and put in freezer. Do same with bread. When hungry pull out the pack on the plate it’ll defrost and you can put it together. 

Packet soup. Disposable cups and cutlery. 

• Posted

Sorry your dealing with this I think we all have. Going on two decades I've learned a few things. Being exhausted I craved sugar for energy and boy did I get fat. Yeah to damn tired and sore to move. That's when I learned about spandex. And eating only fruits and vegetables tears me up. Nice idea doesn't work. Probiotics have saved me. I lost 30 pounds because I stop craving sugar. I've always have been a big cook but bad days frozen works. Most co-ops have cut up veggies and small high quality meals. I eat alot of stir fry. Nowadays you can get delivery which is wonderful.

• Posted

If you have a blender, mix whey protein, oats, milk, flaxseed and possibly 1/2 banana. In fact anything you want and it makes a delicious breakfast shake or anytime meal replacement. Quick and easy.
  • Posted

I would encourage you to prioritise eating well over anything else - being so hungry you are rapidly losing weight will almost certainly worsen your symptoms. Good luck. If often unable to leave one bed, fruit and nuts could be snacked on through the day while waiting for someone to provide a meal? If you're able to heat yourself ready meals and vegetables that would likely be better, but trying to eat enough to prevent rapid weight loss and maintain a healthy weight is an important priority.

• Posted

Hello there

I am the same.  I just feel defeated, i live alone and often just go without food, even if there is food in the house i can't always find the energy to make something.  Also bulk cooking takes organisation that i just don't have the cognitive ability.  I am also self employed and my condition is getting worse rapidly.  I had to quit my work as a professional for something that allows me to rest when i need to ... i have been awarded 0 points for PIP so have no other financial income other than what i can produce from being self employed.  They say that as i'm educated and highly qualified then i cannot be suffering cognitive impairment and i don't have the cognitive capacity to argue. So, sometimes i can't afford to eat. Hope your situation gets better very soon.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.