CFS? Hypo-thyroid? Post-viral fatigue?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi Everyone,

I am on month eleven of this nasty virus and suddenly this past week I have been extremely fatigued again with that almost breathless feeling. I am not talking about muscle weakness-which I also had with this virus. I mean genuine fatigue that even a full-night's sleep doesn't shake off. I was still having some random and annoying symptoms these past few months, but overall my energy levels seemed to be back up to normal for many months. The only thing I can think is that a couple weeks ago I started working out again, just 30 minutes on the treadmill every other night. I can push through this just fine, but perhaps my body is not ready or it is taking up too much of my energy. My heart has also randomly been beating hard, not fast, just hard where I am always aware of it.

Has anyone else randomly gotten super fatigued again at eleven months? Or had a similar experience when trying to reintroduce exercise? I also wondered if perhaps my thyroid has become under active, which I know can happen with this virus. CFS is now also something I am concerned about.

0 likes, 27 replies

27 Replies

Next
  • Posted

May i ask how old you are? does age have anything to do with the intensity of the virus? im in week 12 & i feel the fatigue progressively getting better, im 23 & worked out a lot before the virus, so i would like to know if anyone returned to working out & was normal.

• Posted

Hi Matthew,

I am 35. However, I had mono in college when I was 19 and was sick for maybe a month give or take. I had very typical mono symptoms the first time-extremely sore throat, drenching night sweats, extreme fatigue, etc.

All these years later after dealing with random symptoms (joint pain, tingling, ear ringing, muscle twitching, etc) for months and seeing many doctors, a Rheumatologist thought to check for EBV and sure enough the virus was active.

• Posted

Hi Matt,

At first it was just the week leading up to my period which is why doctors initially thought it was my thyroid or something hormonal, like premature menopause. I was having hot flashes, burning tongue, muscle twitching, panic attacks, etc. But a couple months later it was happening daily. The worst months were March and April. I honestly thought I had MS and saw a neurologist at one point.

• Posted

when did the symptoms flare up again? was it years between your first encounter with mono? sorry im curious

• Posted

after your first encounter with mono, did you feel as if you returned to normal completely before the reoccurence years later?

• Posted

Yes- completely. I never though about mono again after that month I was really sick in college. And you can have EBV without having mono. Mono is an illness caused by EBV so I don't even know if I technically have mono again this time per say. Just that the virus was active. This time I had completely different symptoms though. I am not as down and out as I was the first time (the first time there were days I could hardly get out of bed), but it is lasting longer this time.

• Posted

they always say its rare for the virus to reactivate & to experience symptoms since your body should've developed antibodies unless you have autoimmune conditions. i was tested for ebv the second week of my symptoms and i did have it, but it wasnt active, but the high level of antibodies suggested it was a recent infection. im just perplexed as to why you began experiencing symptoms again if youre otherwise healthy

• Posted

Hi Matthew,

For some reason my comment is "waiting to be moderated." But it's not uncommon for the virus to reactivate or for someone to get it twice. People in this forum have had it more than once as well.

• Posted

And no-I do not have an autoimmune disease. I was tested for many. But many things can cause immune disruptions from lack of sleep, nutritional deficiencies, hormonal changes, stress, etc.

• Posted

Ah, I see. i do hope you feel better soon. i wouldnt like to deal with this virus again either. are you able to test your thyroid to see if theres an issue?

• Posted

Hi Matthew,

Yes-my thyroid was tested when this all started and it was fine. Although I will ask for it to be tested at my next annual physical. Perhaps things have changed since then.

• Posted

i hope you get an answer soon. hopefully since it went away before, the symptoms disappear in due time again

• Posted

Hi Olivia,

I'm "only" on month six, and I have tried to exercise a bit after about three to four months when I felt a little better. I did notice that my symptoms worsened and had to stop exercising unfortunately, so I do recognize that. Unfortunately, the last few weeks I'm not feeling very well and feel like my symptoms are getting worse again. I wish you a speedy recovery.

• Posted

Thank you so much SadJ. I may have to pull back on the exercising a bit, maybe my body wasn't ready for that yet.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.