CFS or Fluoroquinoolone Toxicity Syndrome ?

Posted , 2 users are following.

I have had FTS for some years since being prescribed Cipro and Fluoroquinolone antibiotics. Recently my sleep has deteriorated even more and I'm having difficulty in functioning and walking. Research shows great similarities between CFS and FTS have any CSF sufferers made the comparison ?

Cipro and Fluoroquinolone symptoms very often do not appear right away apart possibly from tendon pain then up to years later it can be triggered perhaps by another medication.

Fluoroquinolones have their own forum and there is a support group called floxie hope

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Derek,

I do sympathise with you because in 2008 I was prescribed ciprofloxacin 500mg for a suspected prostatitis & kept a diary of all my symptoms, the first few weeks I was symptom free, but then I started getting sharp pains in my achilles tendons, then sharp electric shock type pains thoughout my body & to cut a long story short I was first diagnosed was CFS & eventually Fibromyalgia, I also suffer from deafening tinnitus!

Regards

Paul

• Posted

I was given Fluoroquinolone when in hospital in 2012 to have my aortic valve replaced. I had advised them that I had prostatitis and they said it was OK. In the theatre they had been unable to get a standard catheter in and had to fit a supra pubic one and gave me fluoroquinolone.

First thing I did when leaving the hospital after eight days was go to my GP complaining of tendonitis. I had previously had tendonitis badly many years ago which evidently gives us a head start when prescribed the drugs.

It cleared up after physio but returned twice when my GP prescribed it for later infections. Each time tendon pain and I stopped it about the second day. All was well for some time until I was prescribed first Bisoprolol and later Clarithromycin that caused me widespread problems that eventually partly eased until suddenly overnight in Spring 2015 I developed a form of neuropathy in my lower left leg and was unable to walk unaided. My wife was going out and I had walked to the station with her and was having difficulty. At the station I could not cope with the tiled surface. On the way home I was holding on to railings and walls and that's how it is and I use a rollator or a power wheelchair outside.

Insomnia and other things came later. I had neurological tests that could not diagnose any reasons though one wanted to label me with CMT despite testing negative for it.

From 2008 is a very long sentence for you having had prostatitis. I don't blame them too much for having prescribed then it but do object to practitioners who deny what is now accepted. I watched the EMA conference on it last year. I recorded Miriam Knights presentation and the chair persons summing up and gave them to my doctor who is very open minded.

• Posted

Hi Derek,

I do sympathise with you because in 2008 I was prescribed ciprofloxacin 500mg for a suspected prostatitis & kept a diary of all my symptoms, the first few weeks I was symptom free, but then I started getting sharp pains in my achilles tendons, then sharp electric shock type pains thoughout my body & to cut a long story short I was first diagnosed was CFS & eventually Fibromyalgia, I also suffer from deafening tinnitus!

Regards

Paul

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.