CFS relapse... Advice/ what are my options?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Ok I was diagnosed with CFS in January and have been coping pretty much, a few off days but on the whole managing to hold down my full time job. I also go to support group which helps.

Two weeks ago I had an accident and I feel it has triggered a relapse. I can not longer go out as I'm so tired, my muscles ache 24/7, I have head aches and a very low mood. I'm not in a good place really. I am currently off work due to my accident which I feel the stress of caused my relapse. My fit for work note runs out next week. Am I allowed to ask my GP to extend it as there is no way I can go to the end of the road let alone work atm?

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi I am sorry to hear of your relapse.

I am not sure if the "new" system of fit to work notes, is the same as the old sick note system, where your GP would sign you off for a couple of weeks and if you were not fit to return he would sign you off again.

You are clearly not fit to go back yet so make a appointment and ask him to sign you off again - I am sure he will.

Good Luck

• Posted

Hi Sarah,

I am in exactly the same position as you right now, I was diagnosed with CFS in April. I am currently signed off work and I too am struggling with constant headaches, severe fatigue, constant muscle ache and weakness and a very low mood. In answer to your question, in my experience, yes you can ask your GP to extend your note. I have found that my GP tends to be fairly supportive in terms of fit notes. In the past she has been keen to extend my note even when I have explained my need to go back to work. If you know you're not ready to return to work, I would simply request an appointment with your GP and explain this to them stating your symptoms and how this is stopping you from even leaving the house let alone going to work.

Hope this helps x

• Posted

Hi Sarah, as the others say you're not fit for work but, make sure you explain to the doctor all yr symptoms. You may not be fit due to the accident alone still in their opinion but, they have to know this has triggered the cfs symptoms too. My friend had to have sick notes also for their cfs after falling ill with a virus.

Get the rest you need right now and take things easy. Be gentle with yourself.

Hope this helps

B

• Posted

I had an accident 11 months ago which made my M.e. so much worse. Do you find that friends do not understand this at all and almost be-little what you are going through> I hope ou get better soon.
    • Posted

Hi Alison,

It's hard, I'm lucky that I have several close friends that are accepting and understanding but I feel it embarrassing always being the 'tired' one when I see them. The illness has caused me to loose a few friends and close contacts who didn't understand or I just wasn't able to maintain relationships with. Was that the same with you?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.