Chairs after op

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi all,

Another question, at home I have very comfortable sofa/chair that we sit on all the time. I have dining table chairs, which I could sit but is it worth hiring a firmer chair?

Thanks Ann

2 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Hi Ann,

before my THR I bought a high backed office chair on the internet - about £80.00 with free delivery. Just type in " office chair " on your search engine. Very soft, and you can adjust the height which is very useful. Like an IKEA flatpack you would need to assemble it which can be a bit fiddly. Alternatively you may have a secondhand office furniture shop locally. A handy feature is that the chair has wheels and I can push it from room to room while using it as a support without my stick.

• Posted

Hi Ann, what country are you based? all advice seems country centric, also approach of op. I sat on a carver dining seat most of the time also raised my sofa on blocks of apx 6 inches from garden waste! where there's a will there's a way. bed height is generally standard so you shouldn't have to worry about that. Have a cushion handy!!! I intend to write a post on here this weekend of my journey, 13 weeks out, but I want to make clear that my experience is UK posterior approach and that you can read experiences on here that are not necessarily the same as yours due to different surgery options, I so wish that OP's state where they are based and what approach they had. The site is great and answers many people's concerns, so that is my only gripe. Happy pre-op reeeeelaaaax

• Posted

Hi

I am England based Hertfordshire but op is in Essex, and yep reading replies and info on here has helped tonight, will do my best to chill.

Thanks Ann

• Posted

Have you been to joint school yet? The joint school should/will ask you to measure the height of your chair/settee, bed and toilet. They will tell you if your seat is the right height or not. We had just bought a new suite so it was fine, but I still sat on a cushion (over protective of hip). It is not worth spending money on furniture you may not need.

• Posted

Hi jen 86183,

you don't mention in which country you had your operation, and whether it was private of state funded. Mine was state funded, the NHS, but in a private hospital, and although the whole operation was slick and efficient I was certainly left feeling I was flying budget rather than business class. After two days post op the senior nurse simply said it was time to go, gave me a plastic bag of leaflets, most of which I had already read, and sent me on my way. After that the future was to be a mystery and I gather from reading from other contributors that this is a familiar situation. So I have no idea what the Joint School is, whether any future physio will be involved, who will give me any advice. It's a matter of sorting it out for myself.

• Posted

Hi,

II am UK and will be having op NHS in a NHS hospital have already found pre op excercises on line to do before I go in. Tried to see if I could speak yo anyone before hand like occupational therapist but it wont happen.

But hopefully op will be gine!

Ann

• Posted

At my pre op the occupational therapist gave a little talk. We were also shown the various gadgets etc. It was actually quite fun.

• Posted

Hi John,

I am in North Wales and had NHS op in Abergele, The joint school explained everything about the op, showed us the implants used, they asked and advised about any recovery aids we needed e.g toilet raiser, adjustable chair, trolley, grabber sock aid etc., which were then supplied free of charge.

After my hip op, I was sent home on the second day, never given any physio, left to sort everything out myself. I found this site a few days after the op.

• Posted

All depends on the height of the chair - if it makes you break the 90 degree rule, it's not safe. That is why most recliners are not allowed. I built a base for my recliner before my first operation - so glad I did! My wife suggested using an office chair for the dining room, so much easier for me to get closer to the table.

See my website for tips, the address is in my personal info here ...

https://patient.info/forums/profiles/rocketman-sg6uk-907025

and at the bottom of the moderator's "useful resources" page at

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/thr-useful-resources-487147

Best wishes

Graham - ¯_(ツ)_/¯

• Posted

i was worried about seating and ended up buying a chair from an online mobility shop - terrible decision as it would win any competition for being the most uncomfortable chair in the world. It also took ages to put together so we didn't return it. our sofas are low, deep and very soft. i was tempted by the idea of a recliner, but was advised against it because of the angle. having said that, many people on the site have found them a blessing. It's only now nearly six weeks after the op that I can sit for any period of time.

• Posted

Hi Ann, have you got any more appointments before your op? I was given a form to fill in about furniture height, toilet height etc. Then a company came with the raised toilet seats, and they also raised up our sofa and bed. (I'm in north London and I had 6 weeks of the 90 degree restrictions.) I was also given a perching chair which was useful at the table, and in the garden, as it was summer. Good luck.

• Posted

unfortunately, no, have tried to to speak to someone at the hospital but messages left have so far not been replied to. I am hoping that when pre op is given the green light that afternoon stuff like that will be sorted or not.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.