Chalazion at time of cataract surgery?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I developed a chalazion just as I am ready to schedule cataract surgery. I'd be interested to hear how others have handled similar situations. For example, do people usually wait for the chalazion to heal before scheduling the surgery? I've been told it can take months... Many thanks.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

From Google searching it seems it can resolve on its own but sometimes requires removal. I would defer to your cataract surgeon. An oculoplastic surgeon might be good to consult.

• Posted

Thanks Lynda111!

By the way, my optomotrist and cataract surgeon recommended targeting for intermediate vision (-1.5) rather than near (-2.0). We decided splitting the difference (-1.75). I have a choice for treating my astigmatism either with a toric lens or eyeglasses.

• Posted

Agree, just sent a message.

• Edited

The majority of the cases of chalazion will disappear on their own and will need no treatment. However early treatment may be led to better patient satisfaction.

Chalazion Treatment

Warm compresses: Applying a warm compress for 10 to 15 minutes at least four times a day to the affected eye can help reduce inflammation and increase blood flow to the area in the early stages. The compresses are applied in the directs of the opening of ducts.

Oral antibiotics: Oral antibiotics are advised to resolve the associated bacterial infection, acne rosacea, seborrheic dermatitis, and inflammation.

Steroid injection: A local injection of steroids is one of the non-invasive procedures for the treatment of chalazion. It is a favorable procedure for lesions near intricate structures such as the margin of the eyelid and lacrimal gland system. The success rate of steroid injection is comparable to surgery.

Expression and Surgery: In rare cases, surgery may be necessary to remove the chalazion.

Prophylaxis: Proper hygiene should be maintained to avoid recurrent cases. Other treatment option includes the use of oral tetracycline for a prolonged period.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.