Champix

Posted , 5 users are following.

My wife is a smoker and has been diagnosed with COPD. She has just been discharged from hospital after suffering from a chest infection. She has not smoked for a week but the day will come when she will start, with the odd one, again. Given that she has "stopped" smoking. If she starts on a course of champix, now, will it be effective ?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hey Paul,

I have to admit, I would presume Champix should be a feasable option, but you'd really need to speak with your wife's GP, and/or a 'Quit Smoking Nurse' at your GP practice. The best advice can only officially come from those with the capability of prescribing - if I give you a definitive 'yes' that could be completely contradicted when you go to your Surgery.

All best wishes to you and your wife.

Kind regards,

hanb

• Posted

Champix is new to me, but I have had COPD 14 years now, gave up the cigs when I had 2 lots of pneumonia (never again thank you)  You dont say how old your wife is but if she really wants to stop smoking a nasty chest infection and a week in Hospital gives her some idea what her whole life will be like if she carries on smoking - one more thing  it gets harder and harder to breath to even fill the kettle up, things you thought you would be doing for ever, wish I had more strength to give up 20 years ago.

Dawn 12659

• Posted

Dear Paul

Even one cigarette is one too many for her lungs. I am 74 and quit 22 years ago. I got COPD in spite of quiting. I would your question to a doctor. It is a terrible addiction. My lungs are slowly giving out and my quality of life is getting smaller and smaller. If you read a blog my bill Hamilton on COPD it will help you understand the disease. There is no cure for it. Good luck. Are you on Facebook?  Bill is. 

Mary Ann

New Westminster BC

• Posted

Thankyou for all of your replies. Pat has a check-up on Friday and we will ask the Doctor.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.