champix and severe copd

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello everyone.  I have just now signed up to join in the discussions and I have a question.  I have smoked for 50 years.  I did quite in 2007 for 3 years using the nicotine replacement therapy.  From my quit date until I started smoking almost to the day 3 years later I did not smoke one cigarette. And amazingly after the second day of quiting had NO cravings at all.  During the 3 years that I was not smoking, I and my husband had some very tough life changing things happen. 3 months after quitting we had to send our little dog to the rainbow bridge.  In May of 2008 I had to have major surgery.  On July 1 of 2008 my husband had to have a heart transplant and was in hospital for 7 weeks and almost died the second week in and had to go on an artificial heart machine. July 30th. a wonderful family during their time of grief donated  the gift of life, a new heart and my husband had his transplant. In July of 2010 it was discovered that he had colon cancer.  Because of the immunosuppression medications he is on cancer can be very fast growing. This prognosis terrified me so much that I had that 1 cigarette and there ended my sucess of not smoking.  Thankfully his cancer was stage 1 into stage 2 and he has been cancer free for 5 years now.  His heart is in amazing shape 7 years on.  I count my blessings everyday for my husbands amazing  recovery from both of these major life altering events.

I'm sorry this post has turned into a novel,. For some reason I obviously needed to vent....hehe.....Now for my question and the main reason I signed up to this board.

I have severe COPD and other major health issues and just can't stop smoking. I have tried and tried for 5 years now using the patch with NO success. I also BTW have no willpower when it comes to quiting this time.  I am now, if my Doctors approves me tomorrow, going to try champix.  Has any one here used champix who has COPD?  If so has it affected your COPD and made it worse while taking champix? K, that's it for me hehe, Many thanks for taking the time to read my TMI post. LOL

Victoria

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi, havent got copd, but Champix helped me to quit easily. A few side effects which we can help you to manage, but I call it my miracle pill. Good luck...keep us posted of your plans. Xx
  • Posted

WOW Victoria what can i say after that story i think if that all happened to me I would still be smoking and i dont think you should try champix knowing your luck you would get very bad dreams or top yourself. I wish you well but I cant help  sorry..
  • Posted

Victoria, if you cant quit the cigs right away then me personally I'd go to a Vape shop and get yourself a starter kit, try some of the vape juices and see if that helps you cut down and stop. (I did this and have now been smoke free for 4 months) I like smoking but not all the nasty stuff that goes with it. If you have COPD i'd have a quick check with your GP but i'm sure that they would rather you were vaping than smoking.. (nothing with menthol in it as that will just make you cough if your lungs are poorly). Will power.. meh! didnt have any still dont.. but i'm better now and no cigs.. it can be done.. good luck to you
  • Posted

Thank you all for your imput.  It is greatly appreciated.  Unfortunately my doctor does not want me to use it right now.  2 weeks ago I had an exasperation happen and when this happens, 3 times in 5 years, it takes me about 6 weeks at the least for it to clear and then my breathings comes back to what is for me, my normal breathing pattern..  ATM I cannot exert my self or I loose my air then a panic attack sets in.  thankfully I can usually get past that with methods I've taught myself.  Once this exasperation ends then my doctor said we might be able to try the champix.  I am using a smoke stick frequently and not reaching for a cigarette as much.  I know this habit must be altered to rid me of the hand to mouth association of smoking. but for now it helps.  So my friends that is my update to all of you so very helpful people.  I apologize for the tardiness in replying but I haven't been online much. Which is really odd for me LOL since when I'm better, I tend to be online lots.  hehe.  Oh one last thing annie 136 I am atm looking into the app you told me about....for sure I need psychological suppoort as well....

take care all.

Victoria

• Posted

I smoked for 50 years. Never had a day without a cigerette. I also was diagnosed with COPD last Christmas and at this time had a severe chest infection which scared me stiff. My daughter tried the pills which did not suit her at all. I had hypnotherapy on 20th January this year and haven't smoked since. Give it a try before you fill your body with chemicals. 
    • Posted

Beubic, thank you for your reply.  I am leary about trying the champix since reading more about it, here on this site as well as talking with some people who have tried it. They had no success or experienced the nasty side effects.  I have read where hypnosis works for some people.  I have a friend who used hypnosis and it worked for them.  She has not smoked for 10 years since having it  There is a place here that offers laser therapy. But the cost is pretty steep.  About $1000.00!!!!! and it did work for that person, so money well spent for sure.  My biggest hurdle in stopping is that I have absolutely no willpower!! I will give the hynosis a try since I most certainly don't

want to resort to using chemical filled methods if possible.

• Posted

I have also smoked for over 50 years have not been without a cigerette for more than 12 hours. Was diagnosed with COPD just before Christmas last year then came down with a serious chest infection. That gave me the wake up all that I needed. My daughter tried champix nd it didn't agree with her at all. I had hypnotherapy on 20th January and haven't smoked since. Cost me £120 worth every penny. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.