champix needing help

Posted , 5 users are following.

Ive been stopped smoking for 5 weeks with being on champix for 6 weeks im still struggling with severe cravings for the last 5 days i havent givin in but dont think i can put up with the cravings much longer it seems it would be much easier to smoke would i be as well just going to a vapouriser and i had a great 4 weeks i thought this is is it bug now ive never felt so bad plz help

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Eric,

I smoked for over 30 years, and that was peaking 40 a day!! Now, you will probably think I am mad like most people did.

I had previously tried everything on the market, patches, electronic cigs, chewing gum, etc - you'll get the picture.

Whatever I tried I failed, there was a point when I did manage to go 5 days but that was years ago and I was offered one, course temptation beat me and I started again.

I had various hospital tests done, then a phone call saying I had cancer and would I come in Sunday, ready for an operation to remove it on the monday. Did that, had the operation. I was just sat in bed thinking I need a smoke - would you believe it, I went out the ward, and sat outside the Hospital at 2am in the morning. A girl in her early twenties come up to me and asked for a light, so I obliged. She then asked the question what was I in hospital for...so I said "Cancer- I had the op early and now in remission for 7 years!" You should of seen her face, she said if that ever happened to her she would have given it up there and then.

I carried on smoking, against doctors wishes eventhough they tried me on NHS programmes and failed.

In the end I gave up one day, all I said to my wife was that's it I'm never smoking again. That was well over 3 years ago now, and I still get the odd craving to smoke, but resist, I threw all the ashtrays out the house and it has become a non smoking free zone.

To actually, do that took a lot, beings I'd already had cancer and not  even that stopped me!!

It can be done, but it is mind over matter and the will to give up.

Regards,

Les.

• Posted

It takes a lot of determination, patience and perseverance to stop. What helped me was knowing lots of people who used to be smokers.  Most of them gave up before all the assistance available today, like champix and patches, gum etc.  Most of them said it was a few months or about a year before they stopped thinking about it.  For me it is just one of those things where when I feel I want one I have to remind myself of all the positives, like money saved, better health, don't smell of smoke, house doesn't smell, increased confidence, clean nose, cleaner lungs, get over colds quicker, no cough, no nicotine stains on fingers.  I keep telling myself, this feeling will pass and if you give in you'll have to go through the whole process all over again.  Maybe you should tallk to you practice nurse about suddenly feeling like the craving is bad, after it was good for 4 weeks.  Something has triggered it I expect, try and figure out what it was and talk yourself out of it.  Good luckrolleyes
  • Posted

Hold on in there eric, have you thought of the 5 weeks you have been without, well done but dont waste that time as you know very well you will regret it soon after a smoke. yes im sure you can think of nothink else when its that bad. try to hold on in there and give your self a big pat on the back for doing so well.

Remember why you wanted to stop, well they were better reasons than wanting to smoke again. if you have already had one dont worry, you have not failed so get back on the waggon and say to your self, i have 1 in six weeks, not ive started smokeing again. dont go for a vapouriser you have never needed one and it will mimick smokeing also they have so many un known chemicails in.wishing you best of luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.