Chances of a drop of water causing eye infection

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hello everyone

I went to the hair salon today, and I wore contact lenses. When my hair was being washed, a drop of water landed on my eyelid, and then got into my eye when i opened my eyes. I took my contacts out when I got home, about 3 hours later. However, when I was heading home, to feel pain in my eye. Now, even without contacts in, my eye still feels uncomfortable and a bit painful. I know that I shouldn't let water touch my contacts. I'm wondering if a drop of water can cause an eye infection?

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

sorry, I meant to type when I was heading home, I started to feel pain in my eye

• Posted

I wouldn't have thought the water would cause an infection. If there was shampoo in the water you may have had a reaction. Or if you rubbed your eye with your finger you could have irritated it and possibly caused a slight abrasion. Leave your lenses out for a couple of days and put preservative free eye wash in your eye a couple of times a day. Or if you don't have any of that put preservative free lubricating eye drops in. Try and avoid wearing eye make up because if you do have an abrasion you are more likely to get an infection.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.