chances of conceiving 3-4 weeks after vasectomy

Posted , 3 users are following.

What are the chances of conceiving 3-4 weeks post vasectomy if the woman was ovulating and there were little to no ejaculations prior? Would there be just as many sperm alive or are most dead or some dead? 

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Every chance. Takes at least 3 months to be clear. Has to be confirmed with a sperm test.
    • Posted

Thank you for your quick reply! May I ask how you know for certain the quality of the sperm at 3-4 weeks post vasectomy? I can't seem to find any date on this as most men don't submit a sperm sample this early with NO ejaculations. You are saying there would be just as many sperm had he not had the procedure and they would all be alive? 

• Posted

sperm can stay active in tubes for quite some time, hence they usually want to wait x weeks and x ejaculations post vasectomy before testing to ensure chance of false positive (sperm present) is eliminated.

until x ejaculations are had then live sperm will have a high probability of being prsent in the days / weeks post snip hence them saying use condoms until all clear

so to answer your question chances of conceiving under conditions you describe is moderate to higher

• Posted

Thanks for your reply. I just wish I could find data on sperm tests done 1 month out from a vasectomy with little ejaculations . I'm curious. But then why would anyone submit a sample with hardly any ejaculations at 1 month? I guess they guy I'm asking for assumed they'd be dead at one month with no turn over happening. But I suppose that's not how it works. 

• Posted

If in the UK them as dire as the NHS is for risk information it has to be said their info re risk of pregnancy is good, very good.

If he had snip in UK he'd have been clearly told need for x ejaculation and necessary condom use before fertility test.

Can't speak for how they do it in other countries.

I take it he's just having a pregnancy scare with partner as she's late? Hopefully he'll be fine but if not hell not be the first in this situation sadly

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.