Chances of heart failure at 23?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have severe health anxiety. I was recently diagnosed with Crohn's disease which I thought for sure was colon cancer. Over the last week or so there have been nights where I have shortness of breath when lying down. According to doctor google the only thing that could indicate is heart failure. My cholesterol is really good. My bp is 126 over 71. I run three miles at least 3 miles a week, but I still can't shake the severe anxiety telling me it's heart failure. This all started the day before my colonoscopy, so I'm wondering if this is just some extreme stress response, but I'm just hoping to get some insight. So, in short my symptoms are, shortness of breath when I like day, shoulder pain, occasional chest and back pain, fatigue (which very well could just be the Crohn's), and an occasional need to cough when taking a deep breath or laughing. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

to answer your introduction question - almost zero, lets say 100,000 to 1, or maybe even higher.

Do you understand what heart failure is, look up dialated cardiomyopathy, that's what my husband has, also known as heart failure, but he was 59 when he was diagnosed, now 67 and his heart has come back to normal range.

His Ejection fraction is what they use to measure the amount of blood your heart pumps in contraction, they also measure the size of ventricles, lower chambers of heart, in his case where his heart failure is. 

How did he get it, the Dr's don't know, they could never find a reason, he was fit and healthy, and just a couple of weeks previous had been running up and down four floors in a flood situation in a building where a water pipe had broken on the top floor, suggested maybe a virus that attacked his heart, he didn't even have a cold, so whats the chances.

ECG showed a problem with left branch bundle block, but it was the other symptoms that had me worried, he would come home from work, have a cup of tea and before he had even finished it appear to fall asleep, I would wake him for dinner, which he would eat, and then promptly fall back to sleep in his easy chair, this has since been pointed out to me, as probably passing out rather than falling asleep as just not enough blood getting to brain.

I had seen this with my dad 25 years previous when his heart  was also starting to fail, he was 70 at the time, mentioned this to local Dr who gave a referral to cardiologist, she did an ECG, and immediately ordered an echocardiogram, which showed a severe dialation of left ventricle, admitted to hospital, developed congestive heart failure, (that's where your lungs fill with fluid because your heart is unable to pump enough blood through your lungs to exchange oxygen for carbon dioxide), saved his life with medication.

Symptoms - extreme tiredness, swollen ankles, shortness of breath, snores, sweating for no reason, (ie exercise), agitated, very angry that I was questioning him about him not being well, also heart failure shows on normal chest x-ray.

His blood pressure and heartbeat were still in the normal range, with BP monitor and nurse taking pulse, and no pain anywhere.

What has been since found out, you here about people having cholostreol, or clogged arteries causing heart issues, and or even heart attacks, he falls into a very small group, about 2% of the population that do not have clogged arteries, although he has cholestretol in his blood stream, told higher than it should be, angiogram showed all clear, told arteries were like a 15 year old boys, but of course nobody interested in doing any research, we have offered heart hospital, apparently its the drug companies that fund all the research, so why would they want to find and research the small numbers that have no cholerestrol, they just might find the cure, genetic research, and we can't have a cure when selling drugs are making them a fortune.

• Posted

You need to tell your doctor about this as you could be anemic or have a respiratory problem.
  • Posted

Cancer its better to know and have the true facts once this is known it could bring you peace rather than meaning to worry yourself.to talk about it could help google searches also could relieve put up on a calendar your reactions when you have free time.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.