Chances of STI?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi All

2 weeks ago, I had an encounter comprising of unprotected oral sex (both ways), and protected vaginal sex.

About a week later, I came down with what was diagnosed as tonsillitis, no tests took place but doctor prescribed anti biotics.

I've never had tonsillitis before, and read this could be a symptom of oral STD, but also read STDs orally are pretty rare. No other symptoms happened but now I've had antibiotics, I'm assuming this makes an STD test pointless as it would have cleared up the infection, if present.

Likely to be an STD or just a major coincidence?

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Antibiotics wont work against STIs which are viral. Get a standard STI panel test done anyways to keep your mind at peace. 
  • Posted

Antibiotics for tonsillitis, likely penicillins, cephalosporins or erythromycin if penicillin allergic will not treat the same organisms that cause sexually transmitted infections . (Is that the question?) You can get gonorrheal and chlamydial pharyngitis (sore throat) but would have needed one large dose of cephalosporin , then 10d of doxycyclline. So if you got better on amoxil it was likely just strep throat or a cold. Clinically an MD should be able to tell if it was a primary herpes infection. those look something bad!
  • Posted

I have erythromycin tablets which some source say that can treat STDs.

I'm planning a test but how long would you wait until off antibiotics to take the test?

• Posted

Erythromycin in high dose does have effect (2 gram single dose) in management of STIs. I would guess you are getting 500mg or 333mm for 10d? Even though unlikely you have STI pharyngitis as you stated, 3-5 days off the medications should be sufficient to not effect a swab taken from the throat.
    • Posted

Thanks for the reply

Just to confirm thoughts, if I did have infection in throat, this wouldn't move to genital area so urine test wouldn't detect either?

• Posted

Provide you used barrier method for vaginal sex, no, you should not get systemic gonnorheal or chlamydial infection ie it would only be in your throat if that's where it touched down, so to speak. HIV, Hep C, Syphillis etc are different but highly unlikely to be transmitted by cunnilingus. And yet ,we have dental dams to be sure.

• Posted

oh, but still...would require same length of time antibiotics out of system.
  • Posted

I have erythromycin tablets which some source say that can treat STDs.

I'm planning a test but how long would you wait until off antibiotics to take the test?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.