Change Alendronic Acid to Risedronate Sodium

Posted , 9 users are following.

I am male and have recently (within 6 months) been confirmed as having osteoporosis. My doctor prescribed Adcal D3 2 tabs twice per day and Alendronic Acid 1 tablet weekly. I have taken the tablets as precribed for approx 5 months and 3 weeks ago got extreme pains in my legs,knees and shoulders. I researched your forum an AA and didn't like what I read so today I went to an appointment with my doctor and explained that I had for the last two weeks stopped the AA. My Doctor explained that my bone scan indicated that I needed bone building medication and changed me on to Risedronate Sodium 35mg once per week. Does anyone either take or knows anything about the effects that people have or have had with this medication? I would be interested in any data that can be provided.

1 like, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Hi Robin, first of all I'd get my GP to check whether the pains in legs, knees and shoulders could be caused by any other condition. . . Because of your concern about AA meds., he's agreed to change you to another one - risedronate. The only thing is that risedronate is essentially the same medication and one of it's listed "common side-effects" is " pain in your bones, muscles or joints". Both of these meds. are considered the 'workhorses' for osteoporosis. They are also the cheapest. Were you taking the generic form of AA or was it called Fosamax? It the former, they have been found to have a higher incidence of side-effects and are not as effective either. Risedronate also comes in generic form. The non-generic one is called Actonel. It's generally tolerated a bit better than Fosamax. I've been taking Actonel since December last and have no problems with it. But it's also true to say that some people just can't tolerate this group of meds. at all. If so, there are alternatives, so don't panic. Ask the doc. to prescribe you the non-generic risedronate (Actonel), take it, and see how you go. Give it a few months.. If it doesn't suit, it doesn't suit and the world won't end. If the GP can't think of an alternative at this point, go to a Rheumatologist for advice. Hope this helps a little. J
  • Posted

The medications are all scary I feel. I have fosamax ready to take but have yet to start. Firstly delayed by some dental work, now diagnosed with narrowing of the esophasgeas, I am reluctant to begin. Natural remedies seem to be insufficient to deal with osteoporosis. Obviously, more research needs to be undertaken. In Australia we only have the bone density test at 70 and people generally do not know about osteoporosis so many just co tinge through life oblivious they even have a bone problem. Maybe ignorance is bliss after all!
    • Posted

Correction....meant to say....people just continue through life
  • Posted

I thought I was tolerating Risedronate after switch from AA, however since challenging with Park Run and tennis, find suffering ankle and knee pain again. Discussed with GP, stopping for a month/six weeks - continue with challenge and will be offered alternative meds if musculoskeletal pain improved after withdrawal of Risedronate. 
  • Posted

Generic or not, one name or another, the bisphosphonates all share the same deeply troubling potential-side-effect profile. The underlying cause for concern is these drugs' staggeringly long half-life (which refers to how long they remain in one's system): up to ten years! So it may not be sufficient just to stop taking the med if a side-effect develops, as the impact from the drug could continue indefinitely. This is not to say that osteoporosis is not also a cause for concern; unfortunately, it is. But not every problem has a solution, even though doctors and pharmaceutical companies would like us to think otherwise. Also, even if the meds do improve bone density in some people, this is no guarantee that if a person were to fall he or she wouldn't sustain a fracture, meds or no meds. And if the meds' mechanism for improving bone density is to make the bones harder in a way that renders them more brittle, the meds themselves end up increasing the risk of the "atypical femoral fractures" that have been reported, which defeats their very purpose. In the U.S., the Food and Drug Administration is now recommending a "drug holiday" after about three years, in the hope that this might lessen the risk of these drug-related fractures (as well as the other reported catastrophic effect of ostenecrosis of the jaw, a.k.a. bone death). However, people with osteoporosis are as likely as not to be told that they must resume the drugs after any such "holiday," if they are to continue to benefit from them (if in fact they are benefitting at all). Personally, I do not think that starting and stopping drugs with half-lives of ten years will be enough to ward off their ill effects. And if their beneficial effects cease or drop dramatically due to the safety precaution of "drug holiday," one hasn't even reaped the benefit of the kind of "tradeoff" that doctors are so fond of citing as a rationale for taking unsafe drugs.

• Posted

Hi Allison, what treatment, if any,  did you opt for ( I can't remember if you said this in an earlier post ) as you've obviously done your research? J
    • Posted

Hi June. I've opted for no treatment, for the time being, in the hope that, within the next year or two, there will be more definitive information, one way or the other, on bisphosphonates' risks on the one hand and purported benefits on the other.

• Posted

Hi Allison, Thanks for that. NOW I remember you may well have mentioned this before and also referred to a new drug in trial.  As to your decision - you may well be right. Do keep in touch in case we miss any relevant research findings. . . . In the meantime, keep all fingers - and other bones - crossed!!   Kind regards, J.
  • Posted

Hi....I have recently been diagnosed with osteoporosis and prescribed the "standard" treatment...Adcal and Alendronic Acid.  I am taking the Adcal, but have hesitated to take the AA, after reading about its side-effects.  Does anyone on here have any experience/knowledge of homeopathic treatment for osteoporosis?  
    • Posted

I also hesitated to take fosamax which is AA because of the side effects whether major or minor.

I am trialling taking extra calcium, magnesium, vitamin D, vitamin K2, and as much physical activity as I can manage. With back issues unrelated to osteoporosis I find it difficult to do exercise apart from hydrotherapy.

The main thing is not to fall whether you have osteoporosis or not as we age. To this end, I use a rollator, both indoors and outside.

Jan, I hope this helps, and all the best!

• Posted

There are a number of us on this forum who have opted for the "natural" methods of dealing with a diagnosis of osteoporosis or osteopenia.  Kathleen has already outlined the basic micronutrients to be aware of (Vitamin K2 particularly important as it's almost impossible to get from the modern diet).  If you can exercise, activities that are really helpful for the bones include something as simple as walking, or Tai Chi which is very good for improving balance, and there are studies underway to see if it actually helps strengthen bones as well.  A friend of mine who has been successfully improving her bone mass does Nordic Walking, among other activities. I don't know if homeopathic medicine could have any real effect on the bones but I think it is pretty definitive that making sure you get all the right micronutrients and do weight bearing exercises will work, and probably just as effectively, certainly more safely, than any of the OP meds.  By the way, dairy is NOT your best bet for dietary calcium.  Believe it or not, leafy greens are better!  In some ways it seems to me that what most of us really need is a good supply of all the things that work to put calcium efficiently into the bones so then we don't have to worry so much about consuming lots of extra calcium.
  • Posted

Thank you, Kathleen...I am also taking K2 and Magnesium.  I have already fallen and broken my wrist 3 times and recently cracked two vertebrae, doing exercises which the physiotherapist gave me to do for what my GP said was strained muscle around my hip joint!!!  Oh, the joys of growing old, hey??  All the best with your natural treatments..smile
    • Posted

I love physiotherapists, but if they aren't aware of certain things about your condition they can cause damage.  I went to a physiotherapist for treatment of painful shoulder.  Not effective at all. Turned out I had polymyalgia rheumatica and the exercises she gave me were the reverse of helpful.  I'm sorry to hear you have had some fractures already.  I still think I would advise against the medications, but that is your call, of course.  I think the non-drug method is so much safer.  The meds will show your bone density improving after a year or so, but it is at a terrible cost.  The normal "bone modelling" that takes place where old bone is broken down while the new bone is produced is disrupted by the medications. The osteoclasts that do the breaking down are poisoned by the drugs and that means after a few years your bone structure becomes more fragile than it was before.  
    • Posted

How awful about your wrists? I use a rollator to guard against falls.

I favour the pool. I do step ups using the pool stairs. Using a noodle I lift the leg up and push to the bottom of the pool one leg at a time. I believe there are exercises you can do in the pool that are weight bearing by using resistance and stairs!

Growing old is not for wimps but it can sure be depressing 

• Posted

I am sorry t hear you have osteoperosis. Because it is rarer in men, you have been, unlucky. I am not convinced your pains were related to taking AA, but sometimes you need to experiment a little. The only side effect I had with taking it, was, I wanted to sleep for 2 days. I started on Risedronate and I am fine with it. I had

already suffered 2 vertebrae fractures and my risk of another was so high, it outweighed any risk ( a much lower risk ) of any side effects from the drugs. Having a tumour on my balance nerve, makes me more at risk of falling too. We all have different factors in our lives and naturally, they contribute to our decisions. Like everyone else, I weighed everything up and decided what is best for me. Still got all my teeth, so far, and managed to fall off the treadmill 2 weeks ago, landed on my wrist and bashed my leg, but...... Nothing broken. Progress, who knows, but I am staying positive. Good luck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.