Change from citalopram to venaflaxin

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello

I've been put on citalopram for a month

( was previously on it 6 years ago )but decided to come off medication when things improved in my life about 3 years ago)

However I've had terrible anxiety for nearly a month my GP asked me if I wanted to increase my citalopram or try something else

She said I should have felt benefit from citalopram after a month but I haven't.

I've been put on 37.5mg venlafaxin

After I slowly come off citalopram

Just wondered if anyone in the group has changed from citalopram or another ssri to venaflaxin

Sorry about my spelling !

Gary.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi

I was on Citalopram for about 2 years and it worked fairly well until I had a crisis at work and felt I'd got too used to it and it wasn't working any more. A doctor changed me to venlafaxine and once I reached my optimum dose of 75mg twice a day it started working really well. My anxiety, racing thoughts, depression and insomnia all faded into the background and I've felt calm and stable ever since. That was two years ago and I haven't had any noticeable side effects.

April

• Posted

Thanks for replying April

I've also had a bit of a bad time at work

Mainly due to a cut back in staff in our department and me panicking getting the work done and panicking about everything else going on my life.

I'm looking at getting counselling in the near future.

I'm worried about going on venlafaxine because of all the bad reports I've read on various websites about the side effects , but I'm desperate for something ( or someone) to help me .

I'm glad it has helped you

After a month back on citalopram Ive still got a bad stomach and also had that feeling I want to burst in to tears while I'm at work

Had this first time around with citalopram as well.

I'm a bit muddled tonight

More than usual !

Cheers gary.

• Posted

I know those feelings at work only too well unfortunately. I was lucky enough to be able to take early retirement at 60 and have been a lot better since then. The anxiety is still there at a low level so I'm reluctant to come off venlafaxine altogether but might directs reducing my dose after Christmas. It's reassuring to know that I'm not on the maximum dose so I've got that to turn to if I got any worse. I haven't noticed any side effects except perhaps a dry mouth, although that could be caused by one of my diabetes drugs.

April

• Posted

I'm glad you okay on the venaflaxine

And it's working for you

I'm still not sure about taking it

But will go ahead .

• Posted

I know the effectiveness of meds may vary from one person to another, but I have taken venlafaxine and mirtazapine since July 2015, and I have my life back. I hope you will have success with it too. 
    • Posted

Thank you Phiyllis

I'm still not sure if I'm doing the right thing but going on medication at all

To be honest .

Been struggling at work

But I think I'm better there than at home

Worrying about being off !

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.