Change from Lisinopril to ???

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi,

I've been on BP meds for approx 6 months, and currently take Lisinopril 2.5 mg.  It's working well and keeping my BP down.  However, I'm fed up with the resultant dry cough.  The cough isn't continuous, but annoying and disturbs my sleep.  Other side effects are tinnitus, and occasionally a 'woolly' head and odd dreams. 

I'm considering asking my GP to change to a different medication (not Amlodipine - tried that first).  

I'd be interested to know other people's experience of Candesarten and Losarten.  I've read that these drugs have fewer, but different side effects.   But, also read that the two drugs are less effective.

Any info would be gratefully received.

Many thanks.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Candesartan caused raised creatinine.  Whereas that wouldn't be seen as a problem for most people, it was for me as I only have one kidney and that is low functioning.

​I have been taking Losartan 50mg for about a year and it is the first of about 6 BP meds that hasn't caused me any discernible side effects.  However, unfortunately, it isn't controlling my BP, so another medication (Bisoprolol) has been added about 3 months ago.  It's a very low dose but is also failing to control my BP.  GP is liaising with renal consultant at the moment - she doesn't want to follow his written advice to increase the Bisoprolol as it seems to have further reduced my kidney function.

I would definitely recommend Losartan - it is the BP pill that my pharmacist hears the least complaints about.  Just because it doesn't work for some, doesn't mean it won't work for you.  Good luck.

• Posted

You could also try adding some natural remedies.  There are many.  The pharmaceuticals will always give bad side effects.  You should try eggplant juice.  Drink some every day and watch your numbers improve each week. 
  • Posted

I agree with Jonathan that there are some useful natural remedies but check with your doctor for contra indications with prescribed medication.  Do not rely on information from a health food store, my local Holland and Barrett told me it was OK to take a turmeric supplement for joint pain when I was on a blood thinning medication post surgery for a cerebral aneurysm - afer checking with a pharacist I was told that this was about the worst thing I could take as it was likley to send my BP sky high - last thing you need swhen you still have another aneurysm!!!
    • Posted

I agree with you about checking contra indications between 'natural' remedies and prescibed medication.  Before taking BP meds I took starflower oil and a multivit which contains grapeseed extract and lutein, amongst other things. 

After discussion with my GP, I tried to take one or other of these natural remedies along with my Lisinopril.  Tried one at a time on a controlled experiment basis.  The multivit caused my BP to rise - so stopped that after 3 days.  The starflower oil made me feel strange/odd/woozy - so stopped that after 2 days.   My aim was to come off the prescribed BP med and rely on a balanced and healthy diet, and  resume my natural remedies.  Currently, given up on that aim.

It's very difficult to find good research, information etc. online which looks at the relationship between prescription meds and natural remedies.  

• Posted

Thank you to everyone for your kind and helpful replies.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.