Change from warfarin to apixaban

Posted , 3 users are following.

three years post pe and on for life I have made this change and there seems to be some alteration in dosages compared to that in leaflet with meds.  Anyone come across this?

1 like, 17 replies

17 Replies

• Posted

Hi Ann. I am on Apixaban for life. My dosage is 5mg twice a day. Been on it since August 2016. Touch wood no major side effects. Hope this helps. I had multi bilateral pe. With right ventricular strain. xx
    • Posted

Hi Lizzie

I too have right ventricular strain due to the clots, I was diagnosed in November 2016 with large bilateral pe's after going undiagnosed for weeks.

Do you get any symptoms with the right strain?

Debs x

• Posted

Thanks for experience, i am new to this and dont feel quite right so maybe its just the start up.

any other side effects helpful. I read someone said depressionwas a problem.

• Posted

Hi Debbie. Not really still having lots of irregular heart beats. Sort of fluttery and heavy in my chest at times. Maybe anxiety . But on 20mg a day of Citalopram which I have been on for 2 or 3 years anyway. x
    • Posted

Hi Lizzie

This is what I feel as well, I do think some of it is anxiety but I don't know.

Just hope that is does eventually settle down x

• Posted

Hi Ann

I am Apixaban 5mg twice a day and touch wood have had no side effects, I have been on Apixaban since November 2016.

• Posted

thanks to you for the info.  The insert in the prescription box said 5mg for six months then back to 2.5mg twice daily thereafter.  A bit confusing
    • Posted

Are they saying you will go down to 2.5 after six months
    • Posted

Hi Ann

Your consultant will let you know if they want you to reduce the dosage, I have been on 5mg twice daily since November and there is no talk about reducing this at the moment.

• Posted

Thanks. I am assuming they know what they are doing so must do as requested.  

Can i ask if you have any side effects, i am having nausea and sleeping not so well, along with tiredness making me feel depressed.

• Posted

Yes Ann sounds about right. Will wear off after a while. Give yourself small tasks takes your mind off it for a while. Keep smiling. We are all doing so well.xx😊💜💐

• Posted

Thanks Lizzie, glad to know its not just me feeling this flat and sick.
    • Posted

Hi Ann

I don't think I am getting any side effects from the tablets, I just get very anxious and it is the feelings of rapid heartbeats and a heaviness in the chest that I struggle with

• Posted

Been on 5mg tablets twice per day and no side effects after a year. Rivaroxaban gave me nose bleeds daily. Just for info another new tablet coming on the market with an antidote which neither of these two have in the near future.
    • Posted

Great, more iinformation. Yes i heard another new one due to be approved. By NICE in a month or so. Hope its one I'm eligible for. Keep us up to date if you hear.

• Posted

I am very interested to hear about the new tablet coming onto market in near future which has antidote.  Is it perhaps available in usa already, a lot of the meds seem to come from there first.  I cannot find anything on internetn which gives any information.
    • Posted

I am a Simulated Patient at our local teaching hospital and we were acting calf pains and PE and the lecturer explained to me during a break that a drug was being trialled but not yet registered for use which had an immediate antidote which would be ideal in the event of urgent ops or accidents. From what was said I do not think it will be too long before it can be prescribed. Another interesting fact is that in Scotland Health Authorities are apparently looking at bulk buying / prescribing of drugs is starting to take place to reduce costs meaning more folks on same drugs where suitable.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.