Change in bowel habits

Posted , 2 users are following.

I have CKD3.Usually my problem is constipation.Recently my fluid retention has got worse but conversely I now have extremely soft bowel movements.Could this be a sign of worsening kidney function.My dad ended up on dialysis but is dead so cannot ask him.Any advice gratefully welcome

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Gillian

What was main cause of your fluid retention in first place?

Are you on diruretics? Do you have high BP or heart disease, vascular problems?

I have ckd3b and my mum ckd4 neither of us have had fluid retention but we havent any other medical problems so I wonder if your increased retention is due to other things?

Get your Dr to check you over or review your medications if any?

Hope you get sorted soon!

• Posted

Thanks for replying.I have multiple problems including cardiovascular disease and high blood pressure and am also on methotrexate injections for PMR/inflammatory arthritis so I would be totally guessing as to where the problems is coming from.Am on furosemide 20mg but is not making much difference.My blood sodium level too high so for all I know it could also be a factor.If I was a pet I would have been put down by now 😂.Hope you are keeping well.Hiccoughs always seem to hit when least expected -that's life ?

• Posted

Oh wow! So it is very hard to determine the cause of your increased retention.

I would definately get it checked as the last thing you want is heart failure! Which increased fluid retention is a sign.

If you are having increased shortness of breath please get a check up sooner rather than later. ☺

Hope you get better soon x

• Posted

Thanks. Have got my long term condition check up tomorrow and GP is phoning Wednesday pm to discuss blood test results so might get some clarity then .Take care

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.