Change in dosage

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi guys, 

I am going to start coming off Mirtazapine slowly, decreasing my dose from 30mg to 15mg and I am worried about one thing. Weight gain is the sole reason that I am coming off this drug which I have been on for 7 months, and I am travelling to the USA for 4 weeks in a week. I eat a reasonably healthy diet at home but want to be able to eat more like I used to in the USA, I was wondering whether if dropping from 30mg to 15mg will result in any weight loss or at least stop the weight gain?

Help please! 

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I am in a similar position so cannot answer your question yet. I have just started to reduce from 30 to 15; as I too worried about weight gain. I put on a lot of weight when started to take them and found it really difficult to lose any or just maintain my current weight. I worry about not being able to sleep as I have have been on these for about five years. But the excess weight could cause more problems such as type 2 diabetes etc so it's a bit of a vicious circle. Good luck with it all
  • Posted

Hi Ella, if your going on holiday in 4wks I would seriously think before tapering down off this drug,as you don't know how the withdrawal will make you feel. You really don't want to feel unwell on your holiday.  We are all different so you may have no problem.  But if I were you I'd go and have a chat with your GP.  Good luck and have a nice holiday.
  • Posted

No it won't u need to come of it completely. I was on 30 mg to but come off cause weight gain x
  • Posted

Do NOT change your dose of this medication while not at home in your own country.mthe health care system in the USA is not up to par right now, I'm american and I know first hand. Please trust me I've taken mirtazapine and I've dropped dosage and it could spell a not good situation. Wait until you get home to make any changes. Till then Just enjoy your vacation! A little wright gain is the least if the worrys right now. Sit tight.
  • Posted

And to further answer your question. When I went down to 15 from 30 I didn't lose an ounce. Then again I will say while on it I gained 30 pounds and didn't change my diet. I started mirt weighing 110 pounds and went up to 150 without changing anything about my diet. It's the change in brain chemistry that adds weight while on mirt, not dietary changes. But happy holiday...have fun and enjoy...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.