Change in manufacturers!!

Posted , 7 users are following.

Ive been on citalopram 20mg for the last 7 months and was feeling great. I have blips and expect them, this months blips is a little worse than before, it coincides with a change in the manufacturer of the citalopram I take. I would presume that the ingredients are the same so Is it coincidence?. Has this happened to anyone else?.

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Edited

Hi

This definitely has an affect on me. I was taking Accord brand and noticed a difference when I was given a different brand, Noumed. I think it's the coating that causes the problem. It doesn't seem to bother some people but I am sensitive to meds and I noticed a difference.

• Posted

Hi,thanks for replying. I have been using accord and have changed to teva. Did the effects last long?

• Edited

Hi

It's different for everyone, I'm withdrawing and my symptoms took a set back with the new brand for sure, still getting withdrawal symptoms 10 months in on 5mg. I am sensitive to meds though.

• Posted

Hi

so good to hear there is someone else on 5 MG

I been on 5 MG for 18 weeks now starting tomorrow week 19

and still have blips 😡 is that normal ? What are ur withdrawal symptoms if u don't mind me asking . Like to check if they are the same ones I get still .

please it would help me a lot , thanks

I just had not so long ago 9 good days then now on 7 bad days like ruff bad days with lots of crying and anxiety bad thoughts

do u get does please I need help with this babsyboo

• Posted

Hi babsyboo

Yes I am on 5mg but I am withdrawing, I was on 10mg. I still get withdrawal symptoms after 10 months, the main ones are lightheadedness, headaches, aches and pains that come and go all over, stomach upset, tiredness, nasal congestion, tinnitus. They seem to come and go in cycles. I can put up with the aches and pains but the lightheadedness brings my anxiety on and all the symptoms that go with it such as crying, jelly legs, feeling useless etc, it's a vicious circle. I get good days too and I am better than I was say 3 months ago.

Perhaps the coronavirus worry is causing your set back, it's definitely had an effect on me. I try to limit the amount of time I watch it now because it depresses me.

Try taking a look at some of Katecogs old posts, she knows all about citalopram and gives excellent advice and covers just about everything.

Best wishes

• Edited

Hi

I used Aurobindo brand & felt great after 15 weeks, my manufacturer changed & i felt as though i had gone back to the beginning.

I'm still not 100% 8 weeks later. Not back to where i was before set back.

It did take about 2-3 weeks for things to calm down again.

Now i will only stick to the 1 brand

• Posted

Hi kym69169, thank you for replying. I think i will try and stick with the same brand from now on i definitely don't want to go back to the beginning. Did you go back to your original brand or stick with the new one?

• Edited

Hi @CLH19

After 7 days of the new brand, i switched back to my original brand.

Took 2-3 weeks to kick back in,but unfortunately i cant get back to how i felt before the set back.

Im hoping in time that they level out & get back to where i were.

All the best

• Edited

I'm so glad you asked this. I didn't think to ask on here but I've been going through the same thing. It's reassuring to see others experiencing it too, although I wish we weren't. The Noumed brand doesn't agree with me for the same reasons.

I first tried Noumed when I began taking Citalopram back in 2017. My side effects were awful for the first few months; scary, racing thoughts, heightened anxiety, shaking, sweating etc. I'm now wondering if they were due to the brand rather than being normal side effects. Once I switched brand the side effects calmed down. I had the odd blip here and there, but I've been fine for the past 2 and a half years.

3 weeks ago I started taking Noumed again. I had been withdrawing slowly for a few months by splitting my tablet and was feeling great on approximately 15mg, but when the brand changed I noticed it was harder to split the tablet. Noumed turns to a powder more easily and crumbles (and tastes bloody awful! lol). Whereas Accord splits in more solid pieces. Noumad is a slightly different shape too, so I was finding it more difficult to estimate 15mg and started to feel some side effects returning. (I don't recommend this approach to withdrawal. We're advised to ask our GP's for advice first. I didn't, and thankfully it was working out well. But I will be informing them the next time I decide to reduce).

I decided, with all of the worry surrounding this Covid-19 stuff and the difficulty in splitting my tablet, that maybe now isn't the best time to withdraw and I'd try going back to 20mg.

This has only increased the returned side effects though. Specifically, sweating feet and palms, weird sensations in my head, racing thoughts and worryingly increased blood pressure and bpm for about 2 hours after taking the pill.

Does anyone else experience this? My normal bpm is around the low 60's, but the past two nights after taking citalopram it gradually increased to 100 bpm before slowing down again.

• Edited

Hi, thank you for replying. I just found that my anxiety increased after changing brands. I didnt have any of the original side effects that I'd suffered. Sorry to hear you're struggling. When i first started taking citalopram my bmp were high but i'm not sure if that was because of the anxiety! How are you feeling now?

• Posted

Sorry I only just read your reply 😃

Well I'm better than when I posted my previous message. The anxiety is calming down. I've been up and down with other side effects. Some days I'm absolutely fine. Some days I feel exhausted. Some I'm having nausea and don't feel like eating.

I picked up my new prescription and it's the new brand again, so it looks like I'm stuck with it, lol. But overall the side effects appear to be calming down.

Are you feeling any better?

• Edited

Hi, I'm glad you're seeing some improvement. Lets hope you get used to your new brand. Ive carried on with brand given me but after phoning my doctors they have put on my records that id prefer a particular brand, that is what i received for my next prescription so that is a positive. i do however, as I'm already seeing some improvements, think i would have probably adjusted to the new brand

• Edited

I'm sure a brand change affected me and the doctor suspected the same.

I don't think it's a case of one brand being better than another, I think it's that most of us are very sensitive to even small variations.

I know in the US that a generic version is acceptable if the bioequivalence of the active compound is within a tolerance range of the original branded medication. So whilst the amount of the active compound is the same how the body metabolises it may vary slightly.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.