Change in medication

Posted , 5 users are following.

hey guys i am new to this site. i am currently going through a change in my medication which includes decreasing my prosac down to 20mg from 40mg and then meds will be stopped for a week and then starting new antidepressants the after. has anyone who has changed medication or has anyone felt any differences any advice would be greatly appreciated

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi

How long have you been on

Fluoxetine? I guess it depends on a duration for you to be on?

I was on Zoloft (50-100-150mg) for only 2weeks at hospital. Doc reduced a dose to 100mg next day. No med on the following day.

Then i started Fluoxetine 20mg immediately.

I didn't feel any residual effect from Zoloft.

• Posted

Hi

How long have you been on

Fluoxetine? I guess it depends on a duration for you to be on?

I was on Zoloft (50-100-150mg) for only 2weeks at hospital. Doc reduced a dose to 100mg next day. No med on the following day.

Then i started Fluoxetine 20mg immediately.

I didn't feel any residual effect from Zoloft.

• Posted

Why is the dictor having you stop meds for one week? All i have to say is be very careful and make sure he/she is very careful in the way you taper and change meds. I was on 20 mg of prozac for 8 weeks and cut to 10. Had terrible withdrawal and still cooing with it.

• Posted

yeah i dont understand going a week with no meds

• Posted

Usually a med is used as a BRIDGE from one to the other so I don't understand the week with nothing.....

• Posted

Hi I was on Fluoxetine for 2-3 years then changed to Citalopram. I tapered down from 30 to 10mg over a month and it wasnt easy I got anxiety and lower mood. Then I tapered fro 10 to 5 over a month then 5 to zero over a month. Then I started the Citalopram. I would say fluoxetine takes 4-8 weeks to enter your system and make you feel better when you first start taking it, and the same 4-8 weeks for you to notice downside when you come off it. Doctor told me to do it over a week but I believe this is very poor advice. if you want to avoid downside symptoms take it slowly.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.