change of career triggered my first anxiety attack now I have anxiety 24/7.

Posted , 5 users are following.

It all started back in September when I was making a career move. I was at a friends house all of I started to feel funny. My chest started to feel really tight and all I wanted to do was get out of there. The rest of the night my chest was hurting and I went to the doctors the next day had a chest x ray, EKG, blood work and everything came back fine and he told me it was stress or anxiety. I never had anxiety in my whole life so I was kinda in shock when he told me. I felt better that I was healthy went back to normal until mid November when my Uncle passed away from Arota burst. All of sudden I felt like I was gonna die. I felt like I was going to have an aneurysm. I had a constant head ache. I kept checking my pupils. I felt it 24/7 for about a week. I kept researching it on the internet and it only made it worse. I was at work I thought I'd I go to the ER I'll feel better like I did when I went for my heart. So I left work went to the ER. Had blood work done and a CatScan and no problems. Doctor sent me home. But the systems didn't go away. After awhile the head aches stopped. Now I live in constant fear. Every ache or pain I think is the end. I avoid going places because I'm afraid of having an anxiety attack. Now for the first time my right cheek has been feeling like its dropping but when I check if it's not. I look in the mirror and it's fine and I can move my face normally. That triggered my chest to get tight and it's been tight for about 12 hours now. I know it's anxiety but I can't seem to shake the physical symptoms when they happen they last forever. I'm 22 male in general good health. I don't work out now but I was an athlete my whole life so still in okay shape for now. Does anyone know how to beat this? It's affecting my work life, sex life, and my life. I feel like I'm alone and will never get over this. I really just want to get back to being me again. Does anyone have any tips or tricks to stop the physical symptoms when they start to happen?

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi honestly I know exactly how you feel it's awful im 25 and been suffering since i was 20 but as my therapist has told me anxiety can't hurt you. She has also given me a meditation CD but its hard work because you have to practise but it is worth a shot there are meditation videos on YouTube. Also breathing exercises when you feel panicky try and regulate your breathing so it isn't fast can probably be also found on YouTube. Write a log diary to log what set of your anxiety attacks and you may get to the bottom of what's triggered it. I hope this helps you smile PS there is a light at the end of the tunnel its hard to see it sometimes but it is there smile
    • Posted

I've tried meditating and your right it is extremely hard it seems like I can't go 10 seconds without a negative thought haha. I will definitely try the other things you mentioned as well.
    • Posted

meditation is not about ridding yourself of negative thoughts. It is about learning to accept any and all thoughts with out judgement.  You have to teach youself to refocus on guided meditations to the voice.  Tense these muscles and relax, etc. It takes practice.  Important to find quiet place to sit or lie down, and not distractions for 10-15 minutes.  It works.
  • Posted

Oh I know all too well keep working at it though don't give up smile cool hope you find something that works
  • Posted

I'm so sorry you're feeling bad. You are definitely not alone, I've been up all night feeling horrible. It does pass though I promise you. It seems to drag on forever. Try belly breathing very slowly, that's what I do. I've had bouts of this horrible illness over the years and it always goes. You'll get better I promise. Take care xxx
  • Posted

You are not alone.  You can be as fit a race horse, and still have anxiety, or anxiety disorders.  Recommend you see your regular doctor and possibly get checked for thyroid disorder.  Our thyroids regulate all of our chemisty and possibly yours is hypo or hyper?  If that gets ruled out talk about counseling and/or medication possibly.  I personally don't see a counselor because I get stable on medications and read anxiety self help books.  But I wish you the best. 
  • Posted

I understand what you are going through with all this worry about your health. 

I worry about my health and yes it can be anxiety provoking 

i have suffered from anxieties and panic attacks myself and worring will not help it. Have you ever thought about talking to a therapist about how you feel. You may need medication to help the anxieties lessen 

Try not to worry so much you are in good health. When you find your worrying or thinking about your health distract yourself and do something like play a game go for a walk listen to music distract your thoughts 

Also do not look at anything on the internet that causes more worry and that what i have done also the internet is not good because they say things and it may not be you 

Back away from doing that that what i am doing is backing away from looking things up on the internet and do some relaxation 

• Posted

This seem to have come on by two big expriences of a job change and a death. Way up there on the stress charts. The rush as you know is adrenaline. Your adrenaline teiggered by your fight or flight response. There are a few teicks but overall you have to manually calm yourself down. The gym is an excellent way to use up adrenaline overload. Eat healthy and include zero caffiene or any stimulants. This is an anxiety or panic attacks. Learn mindfullness techniques on calming and breathing they are fantastic. Find them on the web. When chest palps come on fill a basin with the warmest water you can stand and put both hands in. It curtails the adrenaline. Another is to face the wall and press your butt against the wall with your legs up straight against the wall. Backwards L. Thats to recirculate the blood and send it towards heart and head. But tricks are good but not what your goal is. The gym, good diet and proper breathing techniques are a better answer. 18% of the populatiin has panic disorders so you are not even close to being alone. They do wax and wane. It can stoo for days, weeks or months but be aware it can return so be armed on calming techniques. Vitamin b complex (you want all the b's and some even have vitamin c in there) and vit d (1000iu) should be taken daily after a meal. The best things you can remeber is the body is incapable of feeling two emotions at the same time. Panic disorders are emotionally based so laughing a lot, or getting angry (healthy anger like the gym release) will blunt the attack. Keep busy, keep laughing and know your bodys dysfunctiininf thinking you are in extreme danger BUT you are not, so do not focus or feed into any physcial symptom it displays during a panic attack. You tell yourself i get it body you think we r in danger but we are not and belly breathe and self talk all positives and know on every level in yourself these symptoms are from adrenaline and they will rid through you and be done. Ten to fifteen cycle at a time so do not do not feed into it that its anything else. If you feed into it or doubt it you will create a life long mess for yourself. You are young and at the beginning of it...squash it now. Good luck and stay strong.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.