Change of diagnosis - canal paresis

Posted , 3 users are following.

So after 8 weeks of doing the cooksey cawthorne exercises with no noticeable improvement, I returned to the consultant at hospital last week.

He now thinks canal paresis, so apparently it's still the same kind of overcompensating by the eyes for signals not getting to brain from ears (the problem with mine is on the right).

I've been referred for MRI and further vestibular function test, so currently waiting dates for these. In the meantime I've been advised to play wii-fit. Apparently there have been some studies done with using wii for vestibular problems

has anyone else had canal paresis or such a fun "prescription"?

Emis Moderator comment: I have removed the link as it was to a site unsuitable for inclusion in the forums. If users want this information please use the Private Message service to request the details.

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398316-adding-links-to-posts

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398331-private-messages

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

I had put a link to some information about use of wii for vestibular rehabilitation, but apparently this is not allowed for some reason. However, if you google wiihabilitation, or wii fit vestibular rehabilitation there is plenty of information. Though I would say that seeking advice from your doctor is preferable to anything you can find on the internet, they may be able to advise if it's suitable for anyone with similar symptoms. I found it interesting. After a year of waiting around trying to find out what's causing the dizziness I'm really at the point where I'm happy to try just about anything, at times I feel like I'm going completely crazy!
    • Posted

Hi, although I haven,t had this diagnosis yet as I,ve had this problem, very similar sounding symptoms to yours for four years now, I am interested in it as have an appointment coming up at the National Hospital for Neurology in London and will definitely mention this.  Will look up the wii connection on line, thanks. Can you describe your symptoms a bit more re the eyes, as that is where my problem is involved as well as tinnitus and slight hearing loss apparently. Thanks
    • Posted

I've not had any hearing loss, tinnitus usually accompanies the dizzy spell, and also a feeling of fullness or pressure in the ear, like they need to pop. 

Apparently as the brain is not getting enough signal from the ears re: balance/proprioception then eyes overcompensate. So moving objects trick your brain into thinking you're moving when you're not. Hence the wii-fit, involves looking at a virtual environment and doing things, it seems to make the symptoms worse, but apparently this is what I need to do to recalibrate my brain for response to visual/balance signals.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.