Change of medication?

Posted , 4 users are following.

My COPD nurse recently changed my medication FROM  Spiriva and Symbecort, TO; Formoterol 12mcg (OXIS inhaler)  and  PULMICORT 400.

I dislike the Pulmicort as I am convinced NOTHING is coming out of the tube!! I know, I am sure to  be wrong!.

​I am unsure if the change has been for the better...... I seem to be a litle more breathless, but that could just be my imagination. What I DO know is that my Rinnitis is a LOT worse..(possible connecion?)question

I would really appreciate anyone who has also had their medication changed and how they got on.

​Thank youwink

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

I've only had my inhaler med changed once on a trial basis, I found the alternative inhaler didn't work for me so I went back to original inhaler meds I was prescribed.

If you find the new meds are not working for you I would go back to doc and say you want your old medicine prescribed again as the new meds are just not working as well, makes you more breathless etc.

• Posted

Why did she change it if you were happy with your existing medication?   Surely you had some say in it?
    • Posted

I am having a telephone consultation with the COPD nurse this afternoon, so I will ask her.
    • Posted

Don't let these people push you around!   You should've been told why she was changing your medication without having to ask for an explanation!
    • Posted

Hi everyone, Well, the nurse has changed my medication again, I think she said its call Oltimo (won't know for sure until I pick it up tomorrow).  She said it combined 2 medications. She told me to see how I got on with it, and if my breathing was bad to add the Pulmicort, and to see her gain in about 3 weeks.

Is anyone else on this drug Oltimo? if so has it been effective for you?

• Posted

Not had experience of the two drugs together tiotropium and olodaterol (trade name Spiolto respimat).

Check info on Spiolto respimat on UK medicines page. search http://www.ukmi.nhs.uk/ they have information on the trials as well.

Tiotropium bromide is the Spiriva med that many use as a once daily 24 hour bronchodilater.  Spiolto respimat is a once daily med.

NICE have information on olodaterol.

Check patient UK for spiolto respimat see what information they may have.

I was fine on spiriva myself, if spiriva is the same chemical make up as the tiotropium used in Spiolto respimat.  

• Posted

Hi

My husband had been on Atimos prior to Foradil. I believe they are all the same drug Formoterol. The difference is that the first one is a normal spray whilst the latter is a crushed tablet to be inhaled, I believe. It's what we were told anyway when it was changed. We were told it simply comes in tablet form now. Hope this helps. He is ok with both actually.

• Posted

EMC is a good site to look up drug details on, Its the one recommended by my respiratory nurse for information on medicines.

I'll post the link in my other post so there will be a delay to view because moderators will want to check it first. medicines org uk

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.