Change of medication

Posted , 4 users are following.

I've been on 10mg Ramapril and 2.5 Bendroflumethiazide 2.5 for years. I am at stage 3 and haven't had any issues for years.

I've just moved overseas were my husband works and there is only a little med centre on compound. When I arrived I went to see the GP and he had said he can't get that medication out here and he's going to change them both. Had anyone had a full change in medication and what do I need to look out for. He'd told me I should get a bp machine sent or from the UK to monitor myself.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Wow you must be really worried.  BP meds can be changed and there are lots of different ones, but they dont all suit and this seems a shame since you have found some that suit.  There are all kinds of side effects with the differnt types and so its best to find out what he plans to prescribe.  A BP machine would be a good idea for you then you can keep a check each day and if your BP goes high at least you can go back and trial another type.  You will already know this but good BP control for us dodgy kidney gals is really important you need good control over this so you always stay at stage 3 (fingers crossed) if you could provide the type he wants to change you to let me know and I will try and help further.  good luck and take care x
  • Posted

Louise, in my experience of having CKD3, high blood pressure, just one kidney and being under a kidney consultant, what you "need to look out for" when switching BP medication, is that there are some BP pills that are believed to be protective to the kidneys whilst others can put kidneys at risk.

I am a very "awkward" patient according to my consultant!  He has tried me on so many pills to try and tackle my blood pressure over the last 18 months but unfortunately my body produces all sorts of nasty side effects.  So far the only pill that hasn't produced any discernible side effects has been Losartan Potassium, but unfortunately it is failing to reduce my very high blood pressure. The consultant said he has exhausted all the pills believed to be 'safe' for my reduced kidney function and is now left with those that are believed to be problematic for kidneys.  Fortunately, along with my side effects, blood tests can provide some reassurance.

Did you have CKD3 before ever taking Ramipril?  I ask because although it is recommended as being helpful to the kidneys, someone once posted on this site that I should never take Ramipril because that had wrecked her kidneys.  I have tried it on two occasions over recent years - the first time I developed dreadful head pain and nausea after a couple of weeks and a long term inflammatory illness affecting my arteries.  More recenty I was cajoled into trying it again but within days I had nausea and fleeting head pain reminiscent of the early symptoms of the previous illness so again it was stopped.

It is a pity that you are unable to get hold of Ramipril and Bendroflumethiazide, having been on it for years and knowing that it suits you - is there no way that a local pharmacy can import these medications for you, especially if you are able to offer to pay for them?

• Posted

Thanks MrsO,

Yes I had stage3 before taking Ramapril,my GP says it's one that protects the kidneys.Do you know the names of any others that protect,just so I have some input when I see the doc. We have been to a few pharmacies but they say they can get it but can't guarantee it all the time.

I was on Atelanol?before the Ramapril but it have me a cough. When I mentioned this to the doc he seemed sceptical,he said the Ramapril might but not the other. He is very doom and gloom and he's the only one.

I am not under a consultant and haven't been for nearly 10yrs. I'm going as I've been lucky so far the change will be Ok x Luckily I only live next door to the med centre.

• Posted

Louise, I'm not a medic, just someone who has had years of experience around this subject due to having having lived with one kidney for so many year.  But as you have been so successful on the Ramipril, I would have thought that another blood pressure medication in the same group as Ramipril would act in much the same way.  Ramipril comes under the group of medicines called Ace Inhibitors (Angiotensin-Converting Enzyme Inhibitors).  They work by blocking production of angiotensin II, causing dilation of the arteries and a fall in blood pressure.  In addition they act like diuretics and increase the loss of salt and water in the urine, adding to the reduction in blood pressure.  Examples of other Ace Inhibitors include Lisinopril and Enalapril, so anything ending with 'pril'.  Of course, it's quite possible that wherever you are overseas might supply the same medication but under a different name.  Just make sure that whatever they put you on, you have regular blood tests on your kidney function - things like creatinine, potassium and urea, and you eGFR level which will keep tabs on how well your kidneys are filtering out.  Do you know what your eGFR level is now?  If not, then do ask before switching the medication so that you have a baseline figure to work on.  Good luck.
  • Posted

An update to my new medications . My Gp here has changed my meds now. I am on  Lisinopril 20mg and Natrilix 1.5 mg.

i have been feeling ok, but a couple of times I have been light headed when standing up. I have been taking my bp daily, as Gp only wants it checking every two weeks. I took my bp this morning before tablets,And it was 114/74. I then took my tablets waited an hour and after feeling a bit light headed took it again and it is 102/53. Should I wait until I see my Gp or is this something to worry about.?

• Posted

Louise, do you find your BP increasing as the day goes on?  If it does, then hopefully all will be well.  I was told by one consultant that when I first started a new pill, it might be better to take it in the evening at first so that any sudden light headedness wouldn't be noticed overnight.  Perhaps a call to your GP for reassurance/advice would help.
    • Posted

Hi,

I have to take two differnt types of BP meds amlodopine and monoxodine twice per day each one.  I take the first monoxodine at 6.30am and then an amlodopine at 9.00am then another monoxodine at 6.30pm and the last amlodopine at 9.00pm and that seems to sort out the spaced out dizziness that can occur.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.