Change of symptoms

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have a bulging disc between l4 and l5 that is pushing on the nerve. I have had sciatic pain for about 5 months. About a week ago the sciatic pain stopped and has been replaced by my legs feeling really heavy and aggitated. Is this something new or the same thing? Anyone else experienced this? Thank you

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Well  certainly anything sciatic related is going to be related to the recent nerve and if you have any kind of nerve root impingement that's going to affect you're feeling and mobility including numbness tingling, it could be down the leg and you could have tingling in your toes and or numbness. Go look at Trigger Point Massage. I go see Dr Curtis Turchin in Sebastopol CA maybe find someone near you. I was able to avoid surgery  it will have been a year this January and I'm almost 100%!

• Posted

*root nerve edit not recent nerve
    • Posted

Hi thanks for the response. I did have the usual sciatic pain. Running down one leg. But one day it stopped and was replaced by both legs feeling like they had just run a marathon, only all the time. Not specifically pain. But also in both legs. Can sciatica pain move?
  • Posted

Hi Martin,

So sorry to hear you've been going through this awful pain and period with bulging disc. I do empathise as have been going through lower back pain myself the last year or so, my MRI scan showed a slight disc bulge at L5-S1 and I've been lucky to still be mobile and able to do things although I've been off work. I know how down and depressed it gets you Martin and am thinking about you and hoping and praying things get much better soon, I believe God will get you through this and bring healing. 

One thing that helped me marvellously for sciatica in the past was something called Bowen Therapy. It is an alternative therapy, very safe, non evasive and relaxing. I had bother with sciatica down one leg for about 6 months or so and it was horrible, tried physio, chiropracter, all sorts but nothing seemed to work - but this Bowen Therapy was like a miracle and it really made such a difference and got it under control and took the pain away thanks to God! Maybe worth looking up to see if any practitioners in your area, I know it's quite an under the radar thing not so common, so hoping there can be someone in your area. 

Also another book I was recommended recently by my osteopath was 'Back Pain Decoded' by Robert Shanks. Available on Amazon / Ebay I think in black and white is cheapest I found at £20 (UK money). I haven't read it all yet but looks good and lots of good advice details of gadgets, different therapies, etc worth trying - different from lots of other back books I've seen.

Thinking about you and hoping things settle and feel much better soon - hang in there and trusting God - ask Him for help is the best thing any of us can do at such times. 

Craig

• Posted

I have a prolapse disc and like you I have a very tight painful feeling in my calf, not the normal sharp sciatica pain. I'm seeing my back consultant this week, so will let you know what he says about it. I also have a complete numb foot.

• Posted

hey Martin I'm the same as you l had severe sciatica pain down my leg about 5 weeks ago which put me in hospital for 7 days. Pain meds and strong anti inflammatory have stopped sciatica pain but l now have severe pain in my left butt cheek and along my leg next to my knee. Now l have been diagnosed with a prolapsed disc and my pyshio thinks its fix able. An operation is my next option which I'm trying to avoid🙁

• Posted

Hi Goegs,

Goodness so sorry to hear you've been going through this awful time. I do empathise having been bothered with sciatica myself, thankfully not to the stage of hospitalisation, but I do know how down it has got me and how painful it has been.

Definitely I would recommend the Bowen Therapy as I mentioned in previous message, it worked for me with sciatica when nothing else seemed to work. Really hoping that the physio can make a difference too, and that you don't have to get surgery. Will say a wee prayer for you Goeg that God can intervene and pull you through this without having to have surgery. Hang in there and thinking about you.

Craig

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.