Change of thyroxine dose according to time of year??

Posted , 4 users are following.

I was diagnosed as hypothyroid in February and my doctor has been VERY SLOWLY increasing my thyroxine dose, starting with 12.5. I am now on 75 and am due to go back and see him 10 June.

On my last visit he said he may DECREASE my dose next time as your body needs less thyroxine in hotter weather (I live in Tunisia where temperatures climb to the high 30's or low 40's) This absolutely terrifies me as I'm only just starting to feel halfway normal again and my last TSH levels were 21, so still high.

Has anyone heard of changing thyroxine dose according to climate?

Also, I think my doctor is being way too slow on increasing my dosage. I would appreciate any feedback on this. Am I just being impatient?? :?

Thanks to all of you, especially the 'regulars' as this site has been invaluable to me.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

hi lou

i was diagnosed in march 2007 with underactive thyroid,i started on 50mg aday and it took 6 months to get to get my dose right,even though i still dont feel like myself,ive never heard that thyroxine should be reduced in hot weather.

take care

lynne.

• Posted

[b:b182449e8d][i:b182449e8d]

Same here, took me 5 months till i was on the correct dose, according to the doctor.

Also i have not heard of reduced dose during the hot weather..but then again i live in England where we rarely get hot weather. lol

Don't worry, it takes time to ensure you are on the correct amount, your doctor would be wrong to up your dosage quickley as it takes your body time to adjust.[/i:b182449e8d][/b:b182449e8d]

• Posted

I was diagnosed last september and started of on 25mg and three months later increased to 50mg then again 4 months to 100mg but was overdosing on that amount I have now gone back to 50mg last week and it is trial and error . When taking too much I felt really awful tears and my body ached I still get these syptoms but they were worse when too much thryroxine.

Life gets to be such a struggle some days but am learning to come to terms with this and I must add that in contrast to some people on here I have a brilliant doctor who listens and does not fob me off sending me for regular blood tests. I have not heard of this reduce dosing in the heat problem but who knows.

• Posted

I too was diagnosed last September but started on 50mg then went up to 75mg about January. I was then told to go back in six months which would be the end of July. I did go and see the doctor in the easter holidays as i wasn't feeling too well, but was told it wouldn't be any good taking another test until the six months are up.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.