Change over of antidepressants

Posted , 2 users are following.

I was previously prescribed 40 mg Seroxat and had to stop after 15 years as I was starting to experience dreadful nightmares each night ( different theme each night !) I have now been prescibed Prozac 20mg after reducing Seroxat from 40mg for a week , then 20 mg for a week then changing to Prozac 20mg. I have now been taking Prozac for 15 days and dont feel very good---Has anyone else done this type of swap and does the Seroxat leave your system when the Prozac begins I still expereince very vivid dreams with sweating during the night but they dont seem so frightening - my appetite is not very good and I find it hard to be motivated to prepare my husband's meals ( he needs a double hip replacement) and to even shower and dress at the moment - is there defintely a light at the end of this tunnel ?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Fifteen years is quite a long time to be on any antidepressant. Has your GP seen you regularly during that time to monitor your condition? Have you seen a psychiatrist? Do you know why you were given Seroxat instead of other meds?

It seems to me that the after effects of coming off one drug and then going onto another immediately may be the problem because you have been on it for so many years. Prozac is generally good as it gives you a lift and helps you to react normally. We may have more to say once we have a bit more information from you. Meanwhile stick with Prozac and go back to your GP if you feel you do not want to. It is important to give your GP as much relevant info as possible so keep a diary of how you feel every day, noting specifics that you have not experienced before.

• Posted

Thank you sooo much for responding. Yes Doctors only commented on the Seroxat only when I stopped taking by myself - did not realize at that time 3 years ago that they were addictive and cessation could result in horrible experience. After that I thought that I would have to put up with Seroxat forever however the horrific nightmares started at beginning of 2013 and after they strated to 'stay with me ' into my wakening hours I finally couldnt take it any more and asked to be changed to something that would help - so upset this morning - day 15 of Prozac as I have yet again experienced this horrible sensation.

I have never seen a psychiatrist as several eventst in the last 15 years could I thought have explained my depression. - my worries are now over and I just want to get back to being a normal person

Incidentally my Doctor consulted a hospital psychiatrist before changing meds recently but concerned as side effects of Prozac could also cause nightmares - so confused.

• Posted

Sorry - meant to say that Seroxat seemed to be the new wonder drug 15 years ago but I now know that it should really have never been prescribed to anyone following the recent bad reports.

• Posted

There were a lot of problems with seroxat but eventually it was deemed to be unsuitable for teenagers and up to about 30. It is effective for older people probably when our hormones are more settled.

i am reassured that your GP consulted before making the change. My son is taking Prozac without any side effects and it has made a huge change to him.

It does seem as though your period on seroxat has not been helpful and may be the cause of the nightmares. If so, then that may take time to disappear. However, what you need now is close monitoring yourself and returning to your GP fortnightly at least. There may be another cause of the nightmares which you have not thought of simply because we usually blame the meds first. So think back to when they started to see if something dramatic/eventful and upsetting happened to you prior to the start.

Are you getting tired? Has there been a change in your lifestyle? Does the need to help your husband with his problem present special difficulty?

• Posted

Thank you for your comments I have over the last 8 years watched my dear mother succumb to dementia and after trying to look after her in her own and own home had to admit her to the care of a nice Nursing Home where she died in June last year at the age of 97 - I was her only child and I cared so deeply for her misery during her illness. My husband was diagnosed with double hip replacements required ( after a lot of mis diagnosis over a period of two years) around this time so I feel that I have not had peace to myself since retiring 4 years ago with caring for my Mum and now my husband who cannot immediately have his operations as he needs to lose about 6 stone in weight which is not easy as he can barely now walk to excercise. I dont know if all this would cause my nightmares as I know there are a lot of people very much worse off than us but just feel that we will sit here and rot until we die basically and it is sooo disappointing. On a brighter note no nightmare last night!
  • Posted

Definitely you have had increasing stress to deal with. We all need a certain amount of stress in our lives but too much and we are in trouble. When that stress continues over time then the build up is one cause of depression. But it can also affect us in other ways. Our general health suffers.

I know a fair bit about this having been a carer for my wife's parents as well as our son. Caring for the parents was made difficult when first she succumbed to dementia and later he had a TIA. Both were hospitalised and then into care homes. This is a long and dreadful account of how the NHS, the local authority, the care inspectorate, and the politicians failed utterly to act. I eventually employed a solicitor because they were acting illegally, I had the proof but they would not address the matter. So the stress from that was a huge problem for my wife and myself. The saddest part is that both parents were not helped and died in circumstances we were very unhappy with. They were 95 and 91 when they died.

So life does throw a few bricks at us and it takes time to recover. You have the memory of your mother to deal with while seeing your husband in great difficulty. I wonder if you have had any offer of respite care so you could take a break and relax on a holiday somewhere quiet. That would be a good move if possible; a change and peace from responsibilities can help in many ways.

• Posted

Hello Jaguar and thank you again for your words of advise. andI am so sorry to learn of your your own past and perhaps still present experiences of life when caring for family..

You are exactly right regarding the propsect of some time required to relax - I have privately thought that I do need me time as at present I do not want to be resposible for doing or deciding on anything - even what to make for dinner. My husband is very kind and understanding of my present state of mind but I do not want to hurt him by suggesting that I need to have some private time to myself and although my married sons do their best to cheer me up I dont want to seem like a needy parent by explaining how I really feel. I have joined a couple of hobby classes to get out and about but have really had to make an effort sometimes to go as I feel so tired and depressed.

I am glad that your son benefited from Prozac and really hope that eventually I will eventually feel the same too and be a normal person although I have really forgotten what that feels like.

Your comments have really been appreciated as NHS Practic Doctors do not have the time to listen to us and I am not the sort of person that would feel comfortable with CBT - writing all this down has perhaps helped and as they say a problem shared is often a problem halved..................

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.