Changed circumstances since awarded standard rate pip

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi

I applied for p.i.p in october last year as have severe Ostioarthritis. I had 2 hip replacements and a knee last year. I still need my other knee done but needed a break from surgery as l was in so much pain. OA has took over my life in the last 2 years. I have just turned 44 and found out only a year and a half ago l has OA after months of walking about in pain and been told it was a pulled muscle and for months but eventually when they did xrays they found out l needed both hips replaced. Which l went ahead and did and during recovery my knee's started getting very painful. So more xrays found out that both knees needed replaced. I had to give up my full time job and go part time. I was off work for over a year but am in constant pain l can hardly walk and my husband is basically my carer now he has to help me dress get in and out bath cook clean and as l am in strong pain medication he sorts all that fir me.

So l was awarded standard rate pip in january after filling the massive form in and oroviding them with more than enough evidence and attending a face to face assesment. But since January my ankle has started welling up l can't put any weight on it the pains just got worse. So again more xrays and my ankle has OA and l need an operation on it asap. I now need to change my car to an automatic as l can't use my left ankle. I need the higher rate of pip to get a mobility car and l missed it by 2 point before.

So l called DWP to inform them of my change in circumstances. I have now been sent the same form l filled out in October that toally stressed me to the max. So basically l have to start again and go through it all from the very begining just to add that l now have OA in my ankle and can't drive a normal car. Why does it need to be so stressful. I just had my assesment in January now l will need to fill form out which took me a week provide all the evidence l did before and add my new ankle operation to it. I just think there must be an easier way. Why can't they just take a gp letter about my ankle and go with my formar form. I am in pain 24/7 l can hardly concentrate plus l am worrying about the ankle op. Not forgetting l still have to get my knee replaced.

I am just so fed up and dreading doing this form again.

Laura 😕

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Laura sorry to hear your problems have worsened 😏 I'm the same age as you and have exactly the same kind of problems....i too missed out by 2 points....i will be housebound in may when work terminate my contract and my car goes back....ive since been diagnosed with it in my wrists and I'm having to wear splints but I've not informed them ...bloody nightmare...im all new to the benefits system but its so frustrating that they make you jump through hoops and stress you out...good luck xxx

• Posted

Hi,

Yes when reporting any changes they always send you another form the same as before. They also look at the whole award and not just Mobility, so you could either lose everything, remain the same or have your award increased. It's always a massive gamble to report changes and in all honesty i don't think it's worth all the stress. I got worse about 8 months before my review for PIP but decided against telling them. If they gave everyone the Enhanced mobility because of what a GP says then most people would probably have Enhanced. PIP doesn't work this way. Which is why PIP was introduced in the first place.

Just do exactly the same as you did the first time, send all the evidence you can. You'll more than likely have to attend another assessment. Good luck.

• Posted

You say you're going to add that you have OA in your ankle and can't drive a normal car.  Remember that this isn't relevant for PIP.  All that matters is your walking, which I imagine is also very difficult.  This is what you need to concentrate on.  You need to try to explain either why you can't walk 20m or if you can walk 20m or more, why this shouldn't count for PIP because of the reliability criteria.

• Posted

Hey scally

I know how ir lt works and know it all about how it affects my life l. I can't walk at all at the moment maybe a few metres to the carr. Tbh l can't face the form just now. And the ladt report l dod not agree with the way they pointed it. It was done in a way that they wanted me only þo get standard rate.

I jave worked full time since l.left sshool and hate having to feel like l am begging for help for a real cindition thats ruined my life and my career. I cant work full time and have lost my role as a bank manager. My husband basically cares for me. I just feel like l am commiting a crime asking for help when l actually am so ill and have never claimed anything from the DWP in my life. I am at odds even to bother trying again evven though l am going to have no income when l go income when l.am.off getting this op as l was off less than a year ago for my knee repacement. I have a lost faith in the way its done as its not fair on genuine cases and to much stress to an alteady stressful.life changing disease.

Laura

• Posted

Hi,

Just be aware that because you've reported these changes if you don't fill out the form and return it by the date your PIP may stop. Yes i know it's cruel that's why i always advice people to think hard before reporting any changes because they'll send you the same form as the first time you applied.

• Posted

Hi Denise

Thanks for that advice l had no idea that because l has called and informed them of changes and not fill the form in that they may stop my pip. That will give me the boost l need to fill it in again. I am attending the doctors tom to find out about what operation l have to get and will then contact the hospital and make an app to see surgon. I will explain to them both that l need evidence on how bad l am and also try and remember what l filled out before and l think l still have all my evidence. But l am going to write on the form as per previous form and evidence provided as surely they will still have the form and evidence as it was only january l had my accessment. I will answer all the questions and what l did before was write a 7 page letter on how bad my life had got. I will write another saying how much worse it has got and my consentration has been really affected as well as my mobility since l applied the 1st time. I am not telling any lies l am new to benifits to. I can't walk more than a few metres and thats using sticks and putting all my weight onto my leg that needs the knee replaced which is also sore but at the moment my ankle is worse than anything if l put weight on it l get electic shock feelings up my leg and brings tears to my eyes.

But thank you all for the advice as l never realised beung a genuine case it would be so hard especially the fact l still try to work and have worked all my life and don't want to give in to this illness but its so hard.

Laura x

• Posted

No problem, reporting changes is always scary in my oppinion. Yes if you don't fill and return that form they'll stop your PIP because you reported changes. I do hope you get the result you want and that it doesn't backfire on you if you know what i mean. Nothing is fair when it comes to the DWP. I could hardly walk when i had my first assessment over 2.5 years ago. Was awarded Standard mobility and got 10 points. There was no way i was going to risk losing what i had and ask for that MR so i left it. 8 months before i was due a review i got even worse but i decided not to tell them and wait for the review. The awarded i had was better than nothing. So many people lose what they have when reporting changes i just hope this doesn't happen to you. Good luck and please do let us know the outcome.

• Posted

Will do thank denise. Was at doctirs today and need op asap. I see the surgeon next week so l will fill it in soon.

Thanks again

X

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.