Changed diagnosis and coming off Olanzapine

Posted , 2 users are following.

I started off "sectioned" into the Mental Health Unit in a secure monitored room.

The diagnosis was paranoid schizophrenia.

I was there against my will.

In New Zealand, they can only hold patients for a certain length of time.

When that time came I was not released, so it was a court case - we lost.

All up, I spent a month in there and was glad to be eventually released.

During my time in there, they put me on 5 mg Olanzapine, which absolutely munted me.

Others were on far larger doses, and I was told that Olanzapine was completely safe "up to 500 mg per day".

After release I was monitored and then had my dosage reduced to 2.5 mg.

A while ago my diagnosis was changed to bipolar, and I was prescribed Epilim as well as the Olanzapine.

Some research showed that the Epilim was a mood stabilizer, so I did not see the point of taking the Olanzapine as well.

As part of my research, I found my way to this to medsafe.com where you can create a guest login and then search for Olanzapine. Very interesting reading.

I have felt like crap stoppint the Olanzapine cold tuirkey, even such a minimal dose;

but the days are getting better and I have my mind and my life back

I make things easier by eating really healthy, exercise by walking the dog, and take a showery and put on fresh clean clothes no matter how bad I feel.

Any comments, feedback or suggestions are welcome.

Oh, and I don't let myself get overloaded.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Bruce, I'm glad that you are coping with a small dose of Olanzapine. Are you beginning to feel all the colours and textures around you. I find it curious that most folks on this site are on very small doses of Olanzapine, as I function on over 10 mg a day, with anti-depressants and valium. I have been on medication for nearly 30 years.I know If I came off the Olanzapine that my illness would return and my doctor said that I would probably die. Do you have a good family and friend support network? Did it help you come off meds? I have to battle alone. Since taking CBDs I have little anxiety and depression. After 3 months, no side-effects and feel more normal again.They are expensive and non-addictive. Sativex is available on the NHS for acute pain sufferers and contains the psychoactive THC. Exercise like walking the dog and keeping busy, like you, and not overdoing things helps. The Mozart Baroque music seems to calm me and being mindful of the moment is great too. Hope you continue to enjoy more of life and find the level of meds that suits you. Hope some of this is helpful. Good to read that you and others are dispensing of meds. Kind Wishes, Francis.

• Posted

Thanks for that Francis, I go back to the psych unit - voluntarily - to top up the mindfulness training twice a week and classical music (Mozart is good) helps out as well.

Both are helpful.

Medsafe.com have changed their policy for guest logins and now a rep will call you...expecting my call today.

But I have already downloaded and printed out all the information anyway so I have it on hand.

• Posted

Oh, and support network? It was my own wife who had me sectioned into the mental health unit in the first place so not so much.

BUT...I do have three younger kids (two girls and a boy) and we mutually support each other - the teenagers are all of doing their own thing and busy at school.

At the end of the day, I have to look after myself by and large.

• Posted

Hi, hope you get on well with the Brain music and the Mindfulness.What is Medsafe? Are you in the US? Good Luck!
    • Posted

Hi Francis,

Medsafe is an organization in New Zealand that thas highly detailed highly technical information on any drug available in New Zealand. I used to be able to get in there on a guest login, but they have now changed the system so that before your guest login gets approved,a rep from medsafe will ring you and interview you.

Not keen on that, so i jumped on to Doctor Google and typed in "medsafe Olanzapine" and the info I needed (and had downloaded from Medsafe before) was right there on the net.

I am in New Zealand, which is still a British colony. Long live the Queen!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.