changed from citalopram to fluoxetine, anxiety or side effects? anyone else?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi

Was put on citalopram for 8 weeks but didn't seem to be tackling anxiety as was still very shaky and sick and this was the worst of my symptoms( stopped eating,  lost 1.5 stone in 5weeks). Also was wiping me out, falling asleep all day as well as at night. Doc suggested fluoxetine as can give more energy, started 2wks ago and def gave lots more energy. However serious jittery feeling increased to point where doc just given me propranolol which after 2 days has calmed jitters a lot.

I dont know if ive become anxious over the way the jitters made me feel but ended up feeling tearful and low again, happiest curled up under blanket hiding tho I know thats not good for me. Feom this gorum two weeks is very early days after change so I need to be more patient. Just wanted to ask if anyone else been through similar and have any advice? 

Thanks for taking the time to read. Xx

2 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

• Posted

hi vix167, i am so sorry you are going through so much!  yes I have high enxiety with the prozac this time around, but i also have a brain injury this time around.  i have a low dose of ativan added to help wiht hte anxieyt.  Both ativan and propranolol can cause the tearfulness, but from what i read propranolol can comntribute to depression bc of the chemical properties.  You may want to check that out if it keeps continuing.  I know ativan has additive qualities, but it has been a lifesaver for me.  but just keeping it as a small amount.....some people i know are prescribed a small amount ativan with the start up of prozac and then told to stop when then flu .  levels .  I would talk with my doctor.....best!
    • Posted

Thanks crayola.your reply is much appreciated. Although its awful to hear other people are suffering it is nice to know that other people out there understand what youre going through, it feels like such a lonely illness.

Im glad youve found something that works, how long have you been on prozac/ativan (not heard of that but im new to all this)? And how long did it take to level off?

I think I need to ride it out for at least a week or two dont I? Unfortunately depression/anxiety dont go hand in hand with patience (haha learning that one quickly!). I take comfort that people on this forum who know what we've been through keep saying hang in there, things will get better. Hoping sooner rather than later.

Thanks for taking the time to post. 

Take care. Xx

• Posted

Forgive me I have now read your full post with more information in-you sound like youve had a really rough time, im very sorry for your troubles :-( 

I cant offer anything in the way of advice being fairly new to all this but I can offer my support if any use and say that the people on this forum also seem willing to offer advice and support so I dont feel quite so alone, hope you dont either. All the best. Xx

• Posted

oh vix167, i completely understand when you say fells like such a lonely place with the illness!  I feel so alone in this and with the brain injury,,,i am so thankful for the support from those on this forum!  

I am still riding out the prozac...every day I thnk i cant handle the side effects but I keep hoping it will get better....i went inot complete remission from depression the first tiem around and it was so good.  My docotr said, realisticlly , i do not have the same brainworking now, so it is uncharted territory....I never had the anxiety either and it is awful compounded with the depression, so i really feel for you!  I am looking for others to give me some help also.....please take care and know you are not alone!

• Posted

hi vix, hmm I was thinking it was something going on in my head, I get great comfort when its dark bizzarely enough, the darkness is like a protective blanket for me, maybe I have insecurities that Im not entirely aware of. I have anxiety of and on through the day, seems better if I can keep myself busy, but I quickly get distracted and lose interest! think we are all fighting various weird feelings that we find hard to explain, never mind control. there is'nt a simple one line answer vix, as we are all different, but I do think this forum here is a great way of exchanging thoughts, questions about side effects etc etc, and I find it a help mentally just knowing there is somebody else out there in this big BIG world. billions of people on the planet yet @ times you can be so alone. not complaining though coz Im quite unsociable just now, hopefully that will pass before long. my rambling is probably of no use to you whatsoever vix, but its good to chat. get well soon, please contact anytime..... ciao for now David
    • Posted

Thank you for taking the time to post.much  appreciated even ramblings :-)Im not feeling very sociable either. Its hard being like this when ive always been the strong one supporting and comforting others, most people don't know how to handle me being like this but I don't blame them cos I dont either! 

Hearing other peoples struggles with this helps me to not feel so bad about myself and my inability to just "snap out of it", if only we could. 

Oh well day 14 and well struggling as opposed to marching forward but  I know im not alone and that really helps. From peoples advice on here  there are good times to come so looking forwards to those.

Wishing you the best

Vix

• Posted

Hi vix,

I came from citalopram as well, but I have been on that for 4 years. I am on day 32 of fluoxetine 20 mg, and I am getting better slowly. I got all the anxiety and sadness as side effects and really takes several weeks to go away (if they do).

Hold tight because it is a long journey, but it seems to be worth it.

• Posted

Thanks for your post. Its good to hear youre starting to feel better even if it is slowly, none of this is easy is it?  What was the reason for coming off citalopram after so long if you dont mind me asking?

Im trying to hold tight just obviously not very good at being patient so id better learn it fast .

Take care x

• Posted

I never had depression before, and I was taking citalopram 20 mg because of social anxiety. It worked wonders for that, but then I moved to a new country and I started to have depression-like symptoms.

I tried exercises, diet, supplements, life style change, etc., but they just alleviated my depression. At some point (2 months ago) I could not work anymore because of extreme sadness and anxiety. Thats when I decided to visit a GP and ask for help. I'm on fluoxetine now and it seems to be (slowly) working. I definitely feel better than 2 weeks ago, and I think I'm better than 1 week ago.

Yep, we need to be patient. But it is very hard...

Take care

• Posted

I feel for you, its hard and youve been battling with more than I have for longer too. It sounds like youre going the right way feeling better bit by bit which is great, as much as we can ask for (tho I dont mean that to sound pessimistic!).

Keep strong n thanks for taking the time out of your troubles to listen to mine n give support. It means a lot. I might not be much help but if you need an ear you can always message me through here. Xx

Thnx x

• Posted

Im in wk 6 fluoxetine now and the outward anxiety has settled, crying pretty much stopped n mood more stable but I have still got nausea most of the time which does rather p me off!

So im not certain as before as to whether my nausea is causing anxiety or i have ongoing anxiety which is causing the nausea. Im in the process of further tests to check there isnt something physical causing nausea  - which I am pretty certain is causing some anxiety in itself.  ...   doh :-) ho hum

Not much help to you really except I dont have other signs of anxiety now  just really the nausea that I started with so definitely outward anxiety abated  

Sorry to not have a more straight forward answer for you

Hope youre feeling better soon 

X

• Posted

Glad its worked for u. Its 4weeks for me not 5. I feel so so tired and like I'm not on this planet 
    • Posted

Forgive me if im covering old ground but are you sleeping ok? I still often wake up several times in the night often with hot sweats but ive learned to shrug it off (along with the quilt!) And go back to sleep,  did stress me out for a while though.

I do use sleep aid now and again if I need to catch up and seems to work ok if I just take one (two wipe me out next day). Sleep makes a big difference. 

Also be kind to yourself and let yourself rest, your body probably needs it even if you dont think it does. I know ive spent more days in the last two or three months lying on the sofa with a blanket than I ever have in the rest of my life. I struggled to justify it to myself at first  after all I though im not "physically" ill but after much research and background reading I realised that yes I am! One book I read said if you had a broken leg you wouldnt rush out and try running on it a few days later so why do it to yourself with this illness? So I stuck with that explanation and decided to do some slobbing around when I felt I needed it :-)

Using that as a good excuse to go to a spa this week too if I can and get a massage. Haha.

Oh sorry I do waffle on....... 

Be good to yourself, it takes time. Take care

Ttfn 

Vux

• Posted

I don't sleep well but I'm heavily pregnant so bit of both. I know the meds make me very sleepy. I hope it passes soon. Its been ,4wks x
    • Posted

On the one hand how exciting, a new arrival to look forward to! I was total insomniac when pregnant anyway so know how you feel, called my  daughter jiggly bump in the belly cos never kept still .that was 9 yrs ago and shes not changed!

You need the rest more than most - can you rest much or are you working?  If youre able to, sneak off for a massage although I know thats a bit indulgent :-)

On the other hand, poor you, pregnancy brings a multitude of ups and downs it itself  without coping with these side effects and  without the other meds that the rest of use as help to get us through them. Something you could try to ease them would be acupuncture if theres someone reputable near you? Ive had it for back pain, dunno how it works but was amazing for that and heard great things about its use for pregnancy issues and anxiety/depression.

Dont know if thats an option for you?

I really hope the worst off the side effects pass quickly for you and you get some energy back. Wishing you all the best for a speedy improvement.  

Take care

Ttfn

Vix

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.