Changed from Lyrica to Rewisca brand of Pregablin

Posted , 16 users are following.

Hi,

I have been taking Lyrica Pregablin for a year, slowly upping dosage from 25mg twice a day, to then 50mg twice daily. This is for the pain from Guillain Barre syndrome and Fibromyalgia.

I have had no side effects and decent pain relief.

But when I was put onto my 75mg twice daily, the Gp told me I was being put onto Rewisca as it was cheaper.

I've taken it for 3 months and my pain is going backwards, and everything else I had under some sort of control.

Normally when we up my dosage I have 2 days of tiredness, but immediate pain relief.

I didn't get any of this with the Rewisca, just fatigue getting worse, and pain escalating.

It happened from taking the 1sr rewisca tablet.

I know my Gp said it's exactly the same medication, just cheaper, but I'm not imagining this.

Sorry for the long post, it's my first time here.

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Thank you for your response about your experience with Lyrica...and sorry to hear that your doc prescribed a cheaper substitute..I try to stay away from generic drugs with my pharmacist..thanks for sharing
  • Posted

I am a 66-year-old male living in England.  I have paid my dues to the NHS in National Insurance and prescription charges being in full employment until prolapsed discs caused by lifting in my job caused a forced early retirement just before the age of 60.

About 8 or 9 years ago the Pain Clinic recommended Pregabalin for referred pain – sciatica in my right leg and a vicious pain in my right testicle.  Pregabalin back then meant Lyrica and the dosage was carefully built up to an eventual 300mg twice a day.

I got on with Lyrica very well and both pains receded almost completely.  The sciatica has gone and the other would only trouble me briefly once or twice a month.  Side effects I could blame for weight gain and sudden hunger pangs but that might just be greed.

In August or September I was switched to Rewisca as the Lyrica was “off patent” as it was described to me.  I noticed no difference.  After starting a new pack four days ago (December 2017) I noticed a return of the pain in my testicle – badly – and getting worse.  Looking at the internet I saw the discussions about the genuine Lyrica vs. the knock off (or generics) like Rewisca.  When I looked at the pack that I had started on Monday I saw it NOT Rewisca but “Pregabalin Teva” by Teva UK Ltd, Eastbourne, UK.

Having seen the comments online I contacted the doctors and was granted two weeks of Lyrica to see if it made a difference.

8 Hours after the first genuine tablet the pain at first receded and then moved to my right buttock.  It was not nice, but it was a change.  Three tablets and one day more and the pain was almost gone.

I genuinely had not noticed the change from one generic packet (Rewisca) to another (Teva) so I think that the placebo or nocebo effect was not involved.

In short Lyrica works for me, Rewisca works as well (for me) but Teva does not.  My medical centre tell me that I will be supplied Lyrica in future. 

For the information of those not in the UK this is free of charge on the NHS as I am over 60 so I am not aware of the prices the NHS has to pay for any of these drugs

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.